Friday, September 20, 2013

Reddit Book: What is the best ...

... chapter, paragraph or sentence you have ever read in a book?

Top 5...
"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what." -- To Kill a Mockingbird
"Anything worth dying for is certainly worth living for." -- Catch 22
“All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it.” -- The Little Prince
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert's "Dune"
"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin." -- Aldous Huxley's Brave New World
Reddit

16 comments:

bagoh20 said...

“Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.”
― Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

XRay said...

"... fuck'em all save six for pallbearers..."

Norman Mailer
Naked and the Dead

Many things are said about Mailer and I certainly would not be one to defend him. But from experience his Naked and the Dead deftly captured certain of the macabre, at times, emotions of the front line. The attitude, if you will, against the hierarchy.

XRay said...

I should have added I'm sure he did not coin the term, probably some Roman guy way back when.

sakredkow said...

Norman Mailer was incredibly quotable.

sakredkow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sakredkow said...

"Now you are young and foolish, the milk is hardly dry on your lips, and it seems to you in your foolishness that you are more wretched than anyone; but the time will come when you will say to yourself: 'God give everyone such a life.'"
- Anton Chekhov

bagoh20 said...

OOoh, that's a good one there, phx.

sakredkow said...

OOoh, that's a good one there, phx.

I knew you and I would have things we agree on.

ndspinelli said...

"Yes," I said, "Isn't it pretty to think so." The Sun also Rises. Hemingway.

Trooper York said...

"Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom's. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own." A Walk on the Wild Side.

bagoh20 said...

"Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own."

OK, lets just give up getting laid at all then.

The Dude said...

"It was the best of time, it was the blurst of times."

C. Montgomery Burns' monkeys on typewriters.

Trooper York said...

You obviously don't have the troubles of a working man bags.

Trooper York said...

As Ritmo would say: You Monopoly Man Monocle wearing Plutocrat!

bagoh20 said...

"You obviously don't have the troubles of a working man bags."

I paid my dues. Now I have the problems of a hundred working men and women, and my government is trying to screw them over every day.

Trooper York said...

So presumably there are women with less problems than you so you can get laid. Just sayn'