Saturday, August 17, 2013

cards

These guys I know like to play cards. I observed them for a while playing on a retro 50's laminated table. Bright yellow. Squarish irregular link design. Odd number of people at the table, the deck of cards dark green. Each hand dealt rapidly and expertly, creating a little pile in front of each player and darkening the whole area as individual leaves from bright yellow to dark green, then all at once without any signal at all, just the cessation of the deal, all hands swipe up their cards in one single deft movement, all players all at once like five choreographed windshield wipers, and bang, the table is yellow again.

I told them that.

They stopped playing and all turned to me at once and regarded me standing there regarding them, and one of them said,

"Chip, we have to drop acid to see the world like you do sometimes."

It looked like this, except worse, and it could have been five cards.


4 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that there is such a thing as pop-up playing cards.

deborah said...

I come from a big card playing family.

Chip, I agree with your friends...you have a cool way of seeing things.

ndspinelli said...

Have you tried Ambien?

deborah said...

Ambien is awful for me. Megan McArdle says her liver can just chew though it, but after three days I have crying jags to the degree of sobbing. From now on I'll only take it for one day, if I really need it.