Saturday, July 27, 2013

They were "responsible, legitimate academics

doing responsible, legitimate academic work" and their aim was to improve security for everyone


 A UK high court judge has ruled a British-based computer scientist cannot publish an academic paper that reveals secret codes used to start Porsches, Audis, Bentleys and Lamborghinis. 

The court imposed an injunction on Flavioi Garcia who discovered the algorithm that allows the car to identify the key. 

There is a photograph of the front of Bentley, the two B logo pieces, one upright the other flat on the bonnet with its reflection looks like birds and jets smashing into each other, it is a confusion of a photograph, actually. You identify it immediately but it still takes a moment to work it out. 

A Scottish writer, Canadian citizen, with a Cape Cod style cabin in Provincetown had a Bentley parked in front of his place, cottage I guess they call them, they're all sort of cute. The Bentley did not run. The cottage had a name in scrolled writing, "Mon Reve" my friend asked what that means and I said, "wipe your feet." They're small, low ceilings, central hallway with rooms on each side and the room in the center, divided by the hall into two,  to one side of the hall stood a bench in the shape of sheep covered with alpaca fur. A favorite spot for the cat, and every time I walked into that room and first glimpsed that sheep I thought a live animal made it inside. Every time. What a great piece of furniture, that gets you every time.

What does this have to do with the high court in England shutting that guy up? Nothing. 

7 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

Help. I'm getting glaucoma. The editor says the text is black. And I'm seeing black and then grey.

The code says #030303, says photoshop when I type it in, weird because I always used #000000.

This says gray.

I'm changing it to #000000 no me gusta 030303

deborah said...

Go for it.

Chip Ahoy said...

I give up. Just like that, gray is the new black.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

(1) I wonder how many people get one of those sheep benches and then name it Harold?

(2) My wife used to keep a sheepskin fleece/rug sort of thing on the floor by her bedside. It was off-white, not golden. Anyway, we had a cat who pissed on it.

(3) Perverts who like to get pissed on call the process a "golden shower."

(4) Bentley might not be too bad a name for a cat. Maybe such a classy name would put it to its best manners. Maybe you could teach it to iron your newspapers and serve tea.

rhhardin said...

Bentley is just ROT13.

rhhardin said...

Nobody was getting any jokes until NSA relented on ROT13.

edutcher said...

Mon Reve means "wipe your feet"?