Friday, May 22, 2015

"$30 hot dog man gets fired"

He told me he charged the people $2 a hot dog. He lied to me.”
Ahmed Mohammed — whose fluctuating frank prices ranged from $3 to $30 near the World Trade Center — was also fleecing owners of the food cart, his boss Abdelalim Abdelbaky, 22, told The Post.

“Nobody would give him a job and he came to me. [But] I lost money — and I lost some customers,” he said, adding he even let Mohammed stay rent-free at his home in Jersey City... Mohammed targeted people with accents near Greenwich and Albany streets, according to NBC.

In one case he tried to charge a New Yorker with a French accent $15 for a pretzel and a hot dog. In another, he asked $30 for a hot dog and a Dr Pepper.
I paid $5 one time for a hotdog. I made the mistake of not asking the price first. Lesson learned.

14 comments:

ricpic said...

I read in the NY Post that the average price of a dirty water hot dog sold on the street is between $1 and $3. That's quite a spread. Considering the vendor who sells for $1 is turning a profit on whatever's in that awful thing even the $3 guy's markup is steep.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

They are more expensive at Time Square.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

The best hot dogs are at Ikea.

fiddy cent.

Chip Ahoy said...

A swindler in NY? Please, say it isn't so.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

Costco hotdogs are dizgust-ting.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

the dude on the grill outside of Home Depot - best hotdogs.

Amartel said...

NEVEReverever buy one of these. I speak from empirical knowledge. When I was a teenager I worked for a guy who had the hotdog pushcart business in downtown Portland. (Just one small part of his diverse business empire. People from Portland will know what I mean. He was gross.) Anyway, those hotdogs sit overnight unrefrigerated in the water in the cart. Our instructions were to look through the dog water every morning and pick out the ones that were turning green.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

There's nothing wrong with the hotdogs.

Methadras said...

AprilApple said...

the dude on the grill outside of Home Depot - best hotdogs.


They used to have those guys here at home depots and in San Diego then they all disappeared.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Jeez should we be surprised these Muslim men would even touch a hot dog.

I'm Full of Soup said...

April - you are correct about Home Depot - but I buy the hot sausage instead.

KCFleming said...

There's something unsettling about reading that 'Ahmed Mohammed is selling $30 hot dogs at Ground Zero.'

AllenS said...

The greatest thing about living in rural America, is farm actions where you can buy the most bestest hog dogs evah!

Michael Haz said...

Where I live local veterans groups and others grill and sell bratwurst in front of grocery stores, at highway exits, etc. Two bucks for a brat, another buck for a soda. Great lunch.