Monday, May 8, 2023

The Case of the not so Intelligent Artificial Intelligence


I have been playing around with Artificial Intelligence apps on the computer. I have trying to use it to simplify some descriptions and to help in writing. 

The problem is that it sucks. It sucks hard. I have been reading about how it will replace writers but there is no way that it could ever work. You have to give so much information for to generate something and then it seems to just be regurgitating what you put in originally.

I tried to get it to write one of my letters to Holmes from Inspector Lestrade. When I used a lot of detail it actually refused to do it since it said it would not make fun of anyone's sexuality or mock anyone. What's the fun in that. 

Anyway this is what it came up with:



 My dear Mr. Holmes,

I trust this letter finds you well, and perhaps even well-occupied with one of your many pressing cases. It is with some hesitancy that I write to you on a matter that, while it may not require your immediate attention, is nonetheless of some interest.

You may recall the Lady Chatterley case, which had the good fortune of crossing your path some years ago. It seems that, despite the best efforts of yourself and the Yard, this particular affair has not been entirely laid to rest.

Rumors, whispers, and insinuations have been floating about of late, suggesting that the late Lady Chatterley's gardener, one Oliver Mellors, may have been more deeply involved in her demise than was previously thought. While I do not wish to imply any wrongdoing on the part of the deceased, I must confess that such talk has made me rather uneasy.

I know that you are always one to keep your ear to the ground when it comes to such matters, and I would be most grateful if you could spare a moment to look into this for me. I understand that your time is valuable, but I assure you that any information you could provide would be of great use to the Yard.

I remain, as always, your humble servant.

Yours sincerely,

Inspector Lestrade

1 comment:

edutcher said...

AI is based on observing past behavior and trying to predict future behavior by rules developed from those observations.

F'rinstance, if a user always tries to reduce the larger card piles in Solitaire first and Mr Gates wants to make the game harder, AI will try to make rules that bury certain cards (eg, 6 and 7) at the bottom of the piles.

IMHO AI has a long way to go.