Saturday, September 24, 2022

One Man ......Twelve Stories

 


I am currently reading this anthology called "Spear Havoc." It is twelve different stories about William the Conqueror the Norman Bastard who conquered England in 1066.

Each story imagines a different outcome if this or that changed in the history of this notable historical figure. You know the "Great Man" theory of history. I thought this was a great concept. The stories themselves are very well written and interesting. Short enough to hold your interest but long enough to make you think. I highly recommend the book which is free if you have Kindle Unlimited.

It got me thinking of what would happen if you did the same thing to other historical figures. Abe Lincoln. JFK. Nixon. Trump. Biden?

I do find it interesting that in almost every alternative history where JFK doesn't get assassinated, we end up in a nuclear war with Russia and America is destroyed. Every single one! That tells you something.

I do concede it will be very difficult do one about Biden as America is being destroyed piecemeal and we aren't even in a war. How can you improve on history?

Still maybe I might try my hand at this. I just have to come up with the right figure. I was thinking either George Armstrong Custer or Alexander Hamilton.

Who would you pick?

4 comments:

edutcher said...

You go wrong with Jack Kennedy. If he'd lived, we'd have ended up in a nuclear war with Russia and everything is destroyed.

MamaM said...

Looks like some of links to other alternative takes and stories are missing from the sidebar. What's that about? A Blogger thing or a One Man impulse to redecorate? I used the Breitbart and Powerline links as jump points for daily perusing and miss them them.

Trooper York said...

It's a blogger thing.

My blog was deleted too.

I will try to fix it.

MamaM said...

Fixed on my end! Thanks!