Wednesday, November 17, 2021

On Darkness and Gravity, Light and Levity

This past weekend I opened a book of poetry that's been sitting unopened on a shelf in my studio ever since I moved in over two years ago, just prior to the arrival of Covid in January of 2020.  The first poem I turned to made me smile as it was an offering from Charles Bukowski, a poet first encountered through Trooper York's online aberrations.  It also reminded me of mention made previously by a commenter here on death as a hunter, and edutcher's recent post on fighting. 

a song with no end

when Whitman wrote, "I sing the body electric"

I know what he

meant

I know what he

wanted:


to be completely alive every moment

in spite of the inevitable.

we can't cheat death but we can make it

work so hard

that when it does take

us


it will have known a victory just as

perfect as

ours.

--Charles Bukowski

Reading it, I felt fortified and connected in a way I haven't experienced in a long time due to the fear, anxiety, overwhelm and confusion that has come along with the political use and misuse of all things Covid.

Then, when I turned the page to another, entitled, "Under Ideal Conditions" by Al Zolynas, I was further reminded of the power and freedom I still hold to stand in an empty and desolate place and step forward and back on my own volition, into my own awareness of the presence, reality, and mystery of light in darkness. 

 I'm grateful to have found both poems waiting to reinforce the power of choice, song, light, community, perseverance, commitment, focus, and the value of finding a place to stand.

Under Ideal Conditions

say in the flattest part of North Dakota

on a starless moonless night

no breath of wind


a man could light a candle

then walk away

every now and then

he could turn and see

the candle burning


seventeen miles later

provided conditions remained ideal

he could still see the flame


somewhere between the seventeenth and eighteenth mile

he would lose the light


if he were walking backwards

he would know the exact moment

when he lost the flame


he could step forward and find it again

back and forth

dark to light light to dark


what's the place where the light disappears?

where the light reappears?

don't tell me about photons

and eyeballs

reflection and refraction


don't tell me about one hundred and eighty-six thousand

miles per second and the theory of relativity


all I know is that place

where the light appears and disappears

that's the place where we live.

My prayer and hope:  May I live in that place and not lose sight of light or levity in the face of darkness and gravity. 

8 comments:

edutcher said...

Thought you meant Charles Buchinski, which made me wonder how he wrote poetry in between all those action movies.

I am such a low brow.

ndspinelli said...

Or maybe a unibrow?

ndspinelli said...

Wally Moon had the best unibrow.

MamaM said...

Trooper has been posting butchered Bukoski for years, here and at his other place. IIRC some of it has appeared under the heading of Panda Sex, which has me leaning toward believing some sort of low-brow mental divert is par for the course.

Furrowed brow is another possibility, with fertile places for diverse seeds of thought to fall and germinate.

Fertilized, of course, by a pass over the head after an ass-wiping with feelings has been accomplished.

The Dude said...

I like that image of seeing a candle across 17 miles of flat land. I would have picked the Mississippi Delta or Florida south of lake Okeechobee, but that's just me.

Dad Bones said...

Apparently the Sonoran Desert Toad took Mike Tyson to that place where the light disappears and brought him back again. And for those who are so inclined he'd like to help them take that toad trip.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/16/mike-tyson-died-while-tripping-on-psychedelic-toad-venom/

The Dude said...

Well alrighty then - Tyson tripping balls - no one needs to be around when that happens!

MamaM said...

Ho Lee Kow!

He’s now tripped toad 53 times — sometimes three times in the same day. He said he lost 100 pounds in three months, started boxing again, and reconnected with his wife and children...“It has made me more creative and helps me focus,” he said. “I’m more present as a businessman and entrepreneur

Looks like ol'Linus is missing the magic and writing the wrong dead guy. He needs to hoss up and sign up for a visit to the toad farm.