Tuesday, July 14, 2020

I could eat.....


Have you ever been sitting around and someone says "You hungry?" You reply "I could eat."

Man could I eat. I love to eat. Piizza. Donuts. Streaks. Pasta. Meatball hero. Liverwurst and onions on a kasier roll. Pastrami on rye. Meat loaf. Sausage and peppers. Panale sandwiches. Roast beef sandwichs dipped in au juis. Veal parmigiana. Calzones. Burritos. Tacos. Perogies in sour cream. Tuna salad on a roll. Grilled cheese. Bacon. Scrambled eggs. Fritattas. Potatoes and eggs.  Veal stew. Irish stew.. Shepards pie. Bangers and mash. Irish breakfast. Rueben sandwichs. Egg rolls. Spring rolls. Kaiser rolls with butter. Pork fried dumplings. Low Mein. Beef with Broccoli. Phad Thai. Spam on toast with pineapple.  Dirty water dog with the works. Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, chips, Pepsi.

I can eat.

The problem is that with my dietary restrictions I have to watch every freaking thing I eat. I can't just go to the corner and have four slices and a couple of beers. Go to the pub for a corn beef sandwich and a pint. Even to the hot dog stand for a dirty water dog. Everything is limited. Constricted. Taboo.

Still and all it was fun while it lasted. If you don't have those restrictions please pig out and tell me about it. Tell me about what you love to eat. Or what you used to love to eat but can't eat anymore.

Because you know one thing.

 I could eat.

Vicariously.

11 comments:

The Dude said...

Vicariously now, voraciously before.

Me, I'm not to crazy about food. A couple of pieces of bread, maybe a slice of meat if I am feeling rich, and some water. That's a day's worth of food for me.

ndspinelli said...

Sixty is the consummate Scotsman. Trooper and I are wops to the core. The wop overtakes the Irish in us easily. Or in my case Scot/Irish. Since they only eat boiled garbage.

Trooper York said...

ND is like me in that he can spout chapter and verse all of the great meals he had in various ethnic joints. Polish, Italian, Greek, Thai, Russian even the occasional Irish Pub can give you a wonderful trip into gastronomic ecstasy.

I am just enjoying adding new items to my list. I bet I have fifty more I didn't think of.

The Dude said...

Last year I was able to buy robust sourdough bread. This year I can barely find any Italian market loaf bread. Since bread is my main source of caloric intake it has been a tough year. But there nae be whining in lean times ye wee lass. Strap on ye sporin and toss yer caber!

edutcher said...

The more vicariously, the better.

ampersand said...

Boy, I could eat when I was younger and never gained an ounce. I started weight training in my 30s and really built up. I looked and felt great until I hit my fifties, then between working from home and various accidents things went south (and east and west). The previous 2 years I blew up to 260 and 270. When summer hits, my discipline kicks in and it's biking, dieting and no drinking until I lose the weight. Sometimes I can manage a pound a day. Two years ago I lost 50 lbs, last year close to 60. This winter I managed to keep my weight stable. I was able to bike through mid January and hold a check on my appetite. Halloween through New Years is a bear.

ndspinelli said...

amper, Exercise is key to my weight control. Walking for me.

ndspinelli said...

Trooper, One of the best Italian meals I've eaten was w/ you and your bride before your heart episode. Chicago has the best Polish restaurants I've eaten. They're up there on Greek food as well.

ampersand said...

ND, walking is what I did this winter when the bike was stowed. I did it every other day for 4 miles. I also walk when the bike's in the shop but it's getting rough on the knees.

ndspinelli said...

amper, To show how much I love and am committed to walking, I walk in the fucking Mall of America in bad weather. Gotta take care of the knees.

deborah said...

Been on an oatmeal kick several months. Got worried about my sodium intake/blood pressure. I hear a rushing in my ears if I have too much. Doc said high blood pressure is not related to rushing sounds in the ear, but maybe the increased sodium is affecting my inner ear.

My diet has been a lot of oatmeal, milk, some cheese, some natural peanut butter. Recently, a few times a week, I started picking up restaurant meals for my mom, and we will split a dinner.

I had to stop buying potato chips for her house, because with Lays, you can't eat just one. I mean seriously.