Monday, April 20, 2020

On Flatworms and Freeeeedom!!!

“Like a flatworm, art possesses the astounding ability of regeneration.  Split your work in any way--lengthwise, into irregular pieces, using just one idea  or element from the whole--and it can grow into an entirely new organism.  This is true down to the 1/279th of the organism.  Every part of this new entity, in turn will have the ability to engender another new form--which may itself grow into a self-sufficient organism that retains the memories of the original.  In this way, art remembers itself. 

Vivisect yourself.  Any material, gesture, color, surface, idea can grow again into a new branch of your work.  It will have the potential to develop in unforeseen ways, to accrete and conjoin into new structure that will almost inevitably mean more than you’ve intended.  This work of severing, reconsidering, repositioning, is the origin of what Salvador Dali called “a delirium of interpretation.”  It’s why art has likely been with us since the beginning.  Art is like a burning bush: it puts out more energy than went into its making.  This is what is meant by ars longa.”   From: How to be an Artist, by Jerry Saltz, 2020, pg.45, Chapter 20, "Art is a Flatworm".

This small but potent book of thoughts on art arrived via Amazon at the end of March to sit alone in the darkness of our garage for a day or two and decontaminate before being opened to reveal a collection of words and pictures set to support and encourage creativity and artistic expression.  This exercise below followed the words above:  

“Exercise:   Using projection, tracing paper, or any other appropriate technique, make a drawing of a found image or photograph.   Make it as perfect and as true to the original as you possibly can.

Then draw the same object in the exact same way-but this time invent 50 percent of it.  Adlib, riff, change it slightly or greatly or entirely for that half.

Finally, put the image away and render it from memory.  When you recreate something from memory you’re necessarily putting yourself inside the work--between what you saw and what you think you saw, in dialogue with the image, the materials, your memory, yourself and more.

Those last two drawings?  They’re flatworms.

(Although the illustration included with this chapter was a drawing of a man using parts from one sculpture to create another, the real life illustrations revealed here at Levity in recent weeks seem more apt--from a woman using callas as canvas, to a color challenged craftsman incorporating incorporated blocks of colored wood with naturally lined pieces to turn out bowls as vivid as the colored flowers, each recreating unique, one-of-a-kind visual experiences in the material that put out energy, even now as this is being read!) 

Vīta brevis, ars longa! Here's to vivisection and regeneration!!

And flatworms!!! Here, there, among and within.



3 comments:

Trooper York said...

Sorry I stepped on you post. I will reschedule.

MamaM said...

Thanks TY. I've been aiming for Mondays, as things tend to go quiet at Levity after the weekend posts.

I've been noticing something odd (or odder than usual) happening at here lately, with higher viewing numbers registering for the posts and little in the way of comment showing up. Which makes me wonder if the current situation and the high levels of anxiety, fear, anger, disgust, loss, and grief vibrating during these uncertain times, might be making it more difficult for those who'd normally be tripping the light fantastic to find their footing.

I'm still having difficulty pulling away from news coverage and life responsibilities to do much in the way of creative engagement. I did get out the quilt blocks I've been piecing together by hand over the years (mostly while traveling in the truck with MrM) and started working on them again while listening to the White House briefings.

That's resulted in 27 more of the six-piece blocks, a small but tangible accomplishment as the lockdown in Michigan continues along with the wait for our delayed spring to arrive. (The forsythia and daffodils have yet to open outdoors here though I've managed to bring in some of their yellow by forcing them to open in the house.

Force in effect all around is the theme here while waiting to be sprung from the trap and individually and collectively find the bloomin' way out!!!

The Dude said...

Since I don't have broadcast tv I don't watch any news coverage whatsoever. I am, however, getting tired of watching old tv series. Seriously tired of it. While our weather is not as cold as it is up north it is still less warm than I like for working in my shop. That last part is just me whining. I have been keeping busy, but a few more degrees of warmth would go a long way to making me more productive.

I went to the store this morning - it is becoming an increasingly unpleasant experience. Today I realized that if clerks wear a mask I can't hear what they are saying - I have been so dependent on lipreading that now when I can no longer see them talk I am rendered effectively deaf. That is not a good realization. That led to a brief moment of sadness, but really, I have been learning ASL and avoiding getting hearing aids for quite some time, so on some level I get it. But today my last coping mechanism was broken and that could be depressing, were I inclined that way, which I am not.

TBF, this crap can go away now - it's not as though we are dropping like flies here, and at this point it is just a bunch of Dot Cops yelling at you about where to stand. This level of regimentation really galls me. I have always been an insubordinate SOB and I really don't need a bunch of other people pushing my buttons.

So, to deal with those issues I will try to stay home more. This whole "go shopping once a week" thing is just a luxury. I need to cut back on that. Maybe every other week. That might work.

But back to art - and I think that's what I was going to comment on, it is, at least for me, all about taking things apart and making new things by putting pieces together in a new way. It used to be taking trees apart and making round bowls, now it is about gluing colorful laminated pieces of wood together to make round bowls, and maybe I should write about that process - from the birch trees up north being turned into plywood to me getting chunks of that and making bowls.

But for now, lunch. Lunch fixes a wide variety of problems. Mmm, lunch...