Sunday, February 23, 2020

The Many Saints of Newark

I always have to multitask when I do something. Write while I am listening to music. Listen to a podcast while I am doing the laundry. Most of all I have to have something on to listen to while I am cooking.

Sometimes it's music. But sometimes it YouTube videos. Almost always I get caught in a Soprano's loop. One clip after another. To the point that I have the series almost memorized. Still it is still fascinating and I can watch it over and over again. The reason why I like it is that it gets these guys right. No Martin Scorsese or Coppola bullshit but the down and dirty assholes like I used to know.

The reason they get it right is of course the writers. David Chase and Terry Winter to be precise. Now they had the great idea to do a prequel. A movie set in the years before the series when the Mafia really held sway. The years that I grew up. The sixties and the seventies. The new movie is called "The Many Saints of Newark" and it will be out this year in September.

It is going to be really interesting how they cast the characters with new actors. The focus of the show is not going to be Tony Soprano. He is a background player and what is interesting is that he is played by James Gandolfini's son Michael. He is pictured with Jon Bernthal who played the "Punisher" on Netflicks who has the role of Johnny Soprano who was Tony's father. Here he is with Vera Farmiga who plays Livia Soprano:


I am really looking forward to it. It should be a lot of fun.

It takes me back.






3 comments:

Joe Jackson said...

I grew up in Newark too - Forest Hills section. Good Counsel and Essex Catholic '71. I miss the bread and Calandras cannolis...

The Dude said...

Sometimes when the weather is bad I stay inside and watch television. I shouldn't, yet I do. After a while you start to scrape the bottom of the barrel, and watch things like Naked Gun, the Police Squad movie. The mayor of that blighted city was played by Nancy Marchand.

So once I finished watching that, and what can I say, surely you have seen the works of Lesley Nielsen, I started watching Cheers. Turns out that Frasier is Tony Soprano's brother - they have the same mother, Nancy Marchand.

Now I feel like Coach and I am going to lie down.

ndspinelli said...

Looking forward to this flick.