Monday, February 10, 2020

On Modulation, Demodulation and Levity



Our modem went black late Tuesday night leaving us with no home phone, no television, no internet connection. A series of calls via cell to the cable provider the next day eventually led to the option of driving to their nearest store (fifty miles away) to pick up a new modem or waiting for a service tech to come Thursday to replace it. With none of the FamilyMtechs available to assist, I took a photo of the hook-ups on the back of the dead modem before disconnecting it, and drove it up to the provider’s store to receive another (in a two minute exchange) and returned home to try to set things to right. Although I eventually managed to get everything up and running again, I felt frustrated and confounded during my attempts to make it through the protocol required to communicate with the provider’s automated attendant, trouble shoot and confirm the problem, and work out the reconnect. Experiences like that with automated help and technology that is almost but not quite beyond my ken, remind me of a scene from the movie, 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968), that’s stayed with me since seeing it for the first and only time fifty two years ago. According to my recollection, it showed a group of primates standing around looking at a large metallic box that showed up in their midst without them having a clue as to what it was, or a tool sufficient to cope with or do anything to it. I feel as clueless as they looked when I don’t have the right key or four digit code (located on the electronic bill I can't pull up) needed to access a system and move forward. Before things went dark, I’d watched a video of Tuesday’s SOTU and the speech-ripping that followed, but missed most of Wednesday's news on the acquittal. Spent part of Thursday catching up and listening to the two speeches Trump made that day, impressed anew by his ability to express direct thanks and recognize support and help received, in a manner that came through as real, personal and appropriate amid a mix of asides and assurances about how good and big and great things are, that to my mid-western ears walks the edge between boilerplate and braggadocio. One of the videos I happened on that heartened me was the Episode 10 podcast of Verdict with Ted Cruz, in which Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham explained their approach and talked about how they worked together prior to the impeachment vote to relate in a reasonable and personable way with the two senators whose votes could prevent a tie and keep Justice Roberts from getting involved in the politics of the matter. Hearing them speak was a centering experience. What they said made sense. They sounded knowledgeable, positive, credible and invigorated, with levity coming up at the 23:45 mark in the question, “Was there any moment that was or that had some Levity to it, some foibles, some…?”





9 comments:

ampersand said...

Is your modem provided by your cable provider? Are they charging you a rental fee? Comcast started doing that here a few years back and I ended up buying my own modem.

Trooper York said...

Nothing is worse than when your provider goes down. Since almost everyone has the phone, TV and internet linked once it goes out you are screwed.

ampersand said...

Get yourself an a/b switch (link) and a cheap antenna for when the cable goes out. Connect the cable or computer to one input and the antenna to the other and the output to the tv. You change the inputs through your tv settings menu and the buttons or slider on the switch. Over here you have to pay extra to get Hi Def on cable. it's free OTA and an amazing amount of stations nowadays.

The Dude said...

I used to have my antenna set up for OTA reception, the antenna was mounted on the side of my barn and I had it connected to a ground post driven deep into the earth. Also had the A/B switch, the whole deal.

But then I moved, didn't want to set it up as I had no barn, and I didn't want to put up another post, so I let it go. I had a nice cable setup for a while, but then I had to switch to what is now called Spectrum - the worst, if I do say so myself. Seems it goes out every time there is a heavy dew.

Anyway, I replaced my modem not long ago - as MamaM says, it can be a vexatious process, but guess what, we made it through and are better people for it.

deborah said...

Thanks for the podcast, MamaM. It's nice to see Cruz being relaxed and personable. Maybe he could be president with this kind of prep to warm him up for the next opportunity. I have a soft spot for Graham. He sometimes comes across with a Mark Twain humor I appreciate. At other times he is tediously annoying.

chickelit said...

If you see the Senate as a clubby bunch, then Biden had to take one for the team.

ricpic said...

No decision for me at all -- I would have waited for the service tech to come. But kudos to MamaM and all you technically capable folk.

And yes, Spectrum fails a lot.

ndspinelli said...

There a couple of generations who won't be able to find their way home if a GPS satellite crashes.

MamaM said...

Vexation is the word. We had our own modem at the old house, and I knew how to reset that one using the large safety pin that hung on the rack next to it for that purpose. We've not had one completely quit before and be unable to be reset. When we moved, we picked up Spectrum, and the old modem wasn't a match or some such thing. We use theirs now, and the one I received in the exchange wasn't new, so we'll see how long it lasts. At least I know what to do if it goes out again.

Did you see the part in the video where Schumer's Ukrainian guest arrived at the hearing wearing a leg bracelet?