Thursday, February 13, 2020

I asked the lady on the phone and she told me.





Scenes at the breakfast table.

"Where did you hear that about the impeachment?"
"I asked the lady on the phone. Sarah."
"You mean Siri?"
"Yeah her."

I measure public opinion by my mother in law who is your basic uniformed voter. She watches a lot of TV and is bored by most of it. She flips from the Mass on the Catholic Channel to her soap operas to QVC to TMC with the old movies. Occasionally she flips on MSNBC or CNN and ends up watching some liberal blowhards spouting Never Trump resistance nonsense. So she comes at me with some of this at the breakfast table. Until we taught her about Siri and Alexa.

Now she asks questions to her phone. Or Alexa. Often the craziest shit. "When did Rossene Brazi die?" "How old is Ernest Borgnine's wife?" Now she can't hear so she shouts that at top volume. Sometimes at 2 in the morning as she can't sleep and is watching TV.

What gives me hope is that even she sees that Bernie is a communist and that the press and the Democrats wasted millions on a bogus impeachment. I don't want to get overconfident but I think it is going to be a landslide. A Trumpslide for the God Emperor of the Cherry Blossom Throne.


7 comments:

deborah said...

omg that's precious. The clip and you MIL. When my mom asks me something, I encourage her to type it in the search box of her computer. She has started to do it from time to time. She'd have a blast with a smart phone.

The Dude said...

HEY GOO GOO! Bam! Bam! Hey goo goo! I like the way she works...

ampersand said...

So you're the King of Queens of Brooklyn?

ricpic said...

How do TV watchers sit through the commercials is what I'd like to know.

MamaM said...

Gosh, it's good to see people evolving.

After the jungaheart presentation and before the sly minxy posting of a miss-I-deed pair of naked old scold grandma boobs, back when adorbs and winky emoticons were part of that iteration (or is it ideation?) I recall encouraging another clueless mother to use her google finger to try finding some of the info she was asking about and she now appears to be doing so from time to time!

Just finished reading the Atlantic article (the one deborah linked to on the Klob at te Primary post) to MrM while he made a pot of soup. We both agreed (as adults parented by Adult Children of Alcoholics)that ACoA's have a weak spot, an Achilles heel, that invariably shows up under stress in semi-predictable yet surprising ways, and Trump knows this about Klobucher. I'm guessing he'll let the increased exposure and pressure that comes with the momentum she's currently experiencing build for a while before going after her. She may end up shooting herself in the foot before he lobs one over the great divide.

That said, do I appreciate the value and preciousness of those who find new ways to cope, relate, bury their hatchets and make things happen? You Betcha!

MamaM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MamaM said...

As for the clip, after watching it all the way through, what stood out based on Some Seppo's link to the body language present in the SOTU (in Sixty's most recent post), was the identification of control gestures, showing up in the repeated tap tap tapping with the hands, amended to just fingertips after being firmly told she didn't need to tap it first.

I understood that. Having to speak to and connect with seemingly smart devices that require slow, specific and limited inputs to work can be a frustrating experience. Especially when a person to person way of relating was how you learned to connect.

I liked the laughter present, as that came from a relational base.