Saturday, October 26, 2019

Corn flakes

This is a cross post to another of my sites. 

The thing is, I'm re-doing all the photographs over there. Twelve year's worth. It's a tedious job. Actually, I'm hoping it puts me to sleep. But I won't get sleepy until right before I must leave for a meeting. 

I clicked the box to tell the browser not to count those page views because they are not authentic. Still, the stats continued to rise. This post rose to the top. And it's from way back in June 2012 and I haven't got that far in my re-do. It's still 4 years away. 

Why are people looking a this page? Who is doing this? Where do they come from? Why are corn flakes interesting to them? What kind of fer'ners are they? It's so stupid. It doesn't even have any fruit. 

I have a perverse sense of humor. Apparently. Looking back as if somebody else wrote this I don't know what to think of myself. It's a joke. But it's real. It's a real joke. 






Americans think they invented everything, arrowheads, teepees, totem poles, but this time they actually did invent something, corn flakes. 

Two American brothers Will and John Kellogg discovered corn flakes by smashing together ears of corn and sugar cane with great force then sweeping up the pieces and toasting them. So it is a three step process. 

Now they smash corn and sugar beet and get the same thing. 

They sell their product for $4. 00 a box for they are Americans and use that insular currency. This is a noncompetitive price for something so simple as smashing together two commodity crops so competition arose to undercut that sharply at $1.00 a box and still be profitable.

I almost forgot to mention, the value people prefer the cost to stay at $1.00 but commodity prices fluctuate so the size of the box fluctuates too. Pursuing that policy eventually will lead to the boxes being the size of an individual portion. 



The people together cannot decide which language to use so they carry on in any language at all switching back and forth between them, you get used to the sudden jolts and eventually it comes naturally. Very often you will see the same thing in multiple languages on the same document, like the Rosetta stone. 







7 comments:

edutcher said...

I thought corn and sugar cane was how you made Frosted Flakes.

chickelit said...

Cereals are for kids. I like Corn Chex, but really on in my mom’s Chex Mix.

ndspinelli said...

Got kid cereals and whole milk in our house w/ a 4 year old granddaughter. Lately I've been mixing Omar's[The Wire] favorite cereals w/ Fruit Loops. I just write "Omar" on the grocery list when we're out.

MamaM said...

Do sleuths enjoy making others do their own sleuth work? Oh and Oh again. Another example of how community works as I didn't think to mix the loops with other loops and that's a great solution to the sugared cereal dilemma.ds. The rule in my childhood home was sugared cereal on Saturdays only. Runny eggs over easy were the fare during the week, to go along with the OJ with Brewer's yeast and wheat germ. Yumm. While my mom was an anorexic with food fantasy issues, my dad was a health nut, a huge proponent of Adele Davis' Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit which came out the year I was born. The "tiger's milk" was her idea,

Which takes us back to the huge health angle/push and religious focus behind the flakes themselves.

Mr Kellogg was a Seventh Day Adventist, advocating for clean living and anaphrodisiac food.

Guess how many children his dad had?

ndspinelli said...

7? That's a tough religion. Had a friend who was a 7th Day. All he could do w/ me was play sports and attend sporting events. Always felt bad he couldn't go to dances or movies.

edutcher said...

Adelle Davis was one more health nut whose regimen didn't work.

6 from the first wife, 11 from the second.

Womenfolk was rode hard in them thar days.

MamaM said...

The story of how one sanitarium guest, CW Post observed and copied the process to create Post Cereals which grew into General Foods is also intriguing.