Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Schittz Creek, sweater

The show created by Eugene Levy co-stars his real life son Daniel Levy as his son in the show, David Rose.

David is difficult to appreciate. He's shown always wearing expensive sweaters of very poor taste, usually too long so that he looks like Uncle Fester. They usually feature large stars. And with expensive slacks. Everything looks terrible on him. And he's always wearing high top sneakers.

He's continuously making contorted unpleasant facial expressions. He's never shown pleasantly.

He's kind of ugly.

He's hilarious for vocalizing his thoughts that monitor the minutia of his interactions as they occur.

Sometimes I have to stop Netflix and crack up laughing. His character is an exaggerated psychological mess.

This sweater is also terrible. It goes down to his knees. When I saw it, I went, "Those are Egyptian feathers!"

They're seen all the time in Egyptian art.

I kept waiting for him to turn around so I could see the type vulture would be on the back. Or a solar disc. I was hoping it would be as good on the back as they are on the front. It is an emblem that is protecting his shoulders and back. As seen on the outside and inside of coffins. Over door lintels and the like.



Here David ends an uncomfortable conversation with the veterinarian. 

His sister took a bold risk and told the veterinarian that she loves him. She had already rejected him and he had already connected with another woman. She doesn't know that they had just broken up. She asked David to take a box of puppy sweaters for a benefit that they're doing. David knows the situation and that's what makes him uncomfortable. It's hilarious how the drama is built so it can be slashed in a few very quick lines. 

"Look, I gotta go." 

"She told you, didn't she."

"Yes, she told me. I guess I gotta stay." 

David gives the doctor very good advice on how to proceed. It's a nice scene. David really does help his sister and the veterinarian. The actor makes you feel his discomfort with being in that situation.  He's aching to get out of there. On his way out he grabs a dog treat and eats it.

The CC has it as interrogative but it is not a question. 

"That's a dog treat."

"Now what am I going to do?" 

That's where I cracked up. It's just a stupid hopeless wrong response. Just spit it out. But David has to make everything psychologically worse than it is.

I'm disappointed in the back. It becomes less Egyptian. Overly stylized.  So I drew what it should be. 



1 comment:

The Dude said...

I have tried to watch that show but the characters, especially that gay guy, make it unwatchable. I always imagine him as a slightly less gay version of Titus - neurotic, prissy, shallow, and not very bright.

Speaking of which - is the last comma in the previous sentence a Harvard comma or an Oxford comma - in any case, I hate using them.