Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Single Girl, Married Girl

A song about how women dress related to their marriage status that tells us something insightful about something. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

I'm on my 3rd time watching 1/5 of this show so a couple more times and I might see the whole thing, and each time this song sticks in mind pleasantly. Only this version is this sincere. The other versions online are hillbilly compared.



Spoiler alert, because pfffft, nobody cares.

This is liberal indoctrination in the most pleasing way. It depicts young love unperturbed by mixing of race even so early as cowboy days. Overlapped is the character developed of the young deputy too skinny to be effective and with Barney Fife traits and with a scene lifted from Taxi of him practicing fancy gunslinging in front of a mirror. But when it comes down to it the lesbian wife of the dead mayor outdraws him easily. The ease of the show contrasted with its drama has both those characters recognize that simple fact without animosity. The deputy has outrageous body odor mentioned by a few characters previously. Just talking about it has the viewers imagining smelling him themselves.

The colored girl and the deputy court. She pushes him into the river to get the stink out of his clothes. The father interrupts their near sexual water playing. Back home, the father whips the crap out of the girl for being so risqué with the deputy and for entering the trouble of ignoring race. The deputy sees this, and we see what he sees from afar on a hill by his horse,  her beautiful bum being whipped brutally, the deputy aims his rifle to shoot the girl's father but gets interrupted at the critical moment. The interrupters get the deputy to understand that killing the father would be worse for the women. And all this is setup for tragic ending for all of them. All that character development and intertwining so that we feel remorse when the small segregated community is wiped out and in his own town the deputy steps out into a streetfight and gets shot in the chest before he can make his first move. He walks right into a bullet and we feel sorrow for a character we've come to appreciate, his non-existant home life, his absence of basic level of anything resembling a home, a single spoon on the dirt floor, for example, his desire to learn to play violin, a young man trying to make something of himself with nothing to start with, nothing to go on, no one to guide him except the critiques from the whole town. Excellent drama right there. And another lesson in drama watching. Whenever you see young people depicted lovingly that means they're going to die. The writer is going for contrast. The writer makes you love the character, what they do well, how they grow, and with their faults, then kills them. And if it's a very young child depicted angelically that means they'll die very quickly to set up the rest of the story. 


11 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Chip, Thanks for continuing to write about this good series. I go have one possible correction. I believe the deputy gets a Bowie knife to the chest. But, w/ all the violence, WTF does that matter. But..I'm a facts guy. If I'm wrong, mea culpa.

Bushman of the Kohlrabi said...

Great series.

Bonus points for gratuitous shots of Lady Mary's more-impressive-than-expected boobage!

Chip Ahoy said...

Thanks for the correction. I got mixed up. I'll see it again no doubt. I'm still on my third viewing of 1/5. I keep doing other things while I'm watching. Something will pull my attention up. Like this song.

I love how the sequence is blending. The guy on the horse is not the deputy thinking about the girl, it's the main character teaching the half indian lad how to ride. "These trees are called Aspens. Quakies. their roots extend and conceal a lot of hazard for horses. Those trees over there are pines." The boy doesn't want to ride the horse downhill. The protagonist is teaching the fatherless half indian how to be an indian from an outlaw's perspective. The lad is exceedingly needy. He's a total f-up about everything. He wants the outlaw to stick around because he needs to learn from him. Especially about horses and riding and hunting.

Have you ever done that? Ride a horse downhill? Oh man, I just recalled a true story I could tell you. Maybe I will. It has a lot of interesting elements. I think. Just like this sequence of riding.

bagoh20 said...

It was one of you writers (Chip or Trooper) who got me to start watching this show, and I love it. In fact, my favorite TV is by far these network originals on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. Great TV that is movie quality. I'm blown away by how good everything is: the writing, costumes, sets, acting - it's all great.

Godless
Longmire
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Black Mirror
Quick Draw

A lot of creative quality work out there to enjoy, without commercials, and on YOUR schedule. The only problem is there is too much of it to get to it all.

Cable TV is dead. It's one big infomercial with snippets of content stuck in. Unwatchable.

Trooper York said...

Very true bags.

Three new ones I can recommend are:

Stranger Things.
Frontier.
Shut Eye.

Three really good series to binge watch.

The Dude said...

I have been watching Black Mirror and what do you know - I must have looped around - got back to the epi with the woman who wants to improve her social status ratings and, well, I think things go south.

The one with "Coach" and the round iPhone dating gizmo - that one was weird. The Black History Museum - interesting, but meh in the end - the very idea of an electric '63 T-Bird with oversized wheels is just wrong. Ask CL - he knows.

It can tend to be a very dark series. The robodogs creeped me the f out. Did not like that one. Plus, being filmed in England the chick was definitely under-armed - a single shot shotgun - how positively un-American! You lose!

But the sets, the production values and the overall weird feel of those shows are all very enjoyable, if one can set aside the other peculiarities.

ndspinelli said...

Shut Eye gives a good look into the gypsy culture. My bride knows a lot about gypsies and loved it. And fuck you, they're gypsies, not "Roma."

I liked the Hulu series, Chance. Atypical is pretty good as is 11.22.63, based on a Stephen King novel by the same name. All these new venues are kicking box office and network TV's ass.

ndspinelli said...

Chip, I only bet on horses, mostly ridden by Hispanics.

Trooper York said...

This is why you can cut the cord and only use streaming services.

When you want to see a movie can use Amazon. You can also get premiums like HBO and Showtime as a stream.

I get the Faith and Family channel which has Hallmark movies and Acorn which gets really cool British stuff with great crime dramas.

ndspinelli said...

My daughters family cut the cord recently. They're still adjusting.

Trooper York said...

It is really not a problem if you don't care about live sports.

I listen to baseball on the radio so it doesn't matter to me.

The news is live streamed on youtube.

They are going to enjoy it.

Binge watching is great fun.