Monday, January 15, 2018

pencil carving

I wanted to find a video of someone carving a pencil into a chain, and found one. Found a few of them. But they carve the graphite, not the wood. So there are videos of wood of pencils carved away with both ends linked with the pencil's graphite carved into a chain. Some very extravagantly fancy chains.

This is just insane.



There is another video showing the alphabet being carved. The wood is carved away two or three letters at a time.

Another of a boy doing this then creating a plastic enclosure around his carving to dangle it as a necklace. I was fascinated with his teeth. Like the corners of each tooth is carefully rounded for perfect cartoon teeth. Then most the video is his little boy hands working diligently with fingernails cut severely as his pencil creation. A most unusual boy.

Another guy carves a DNA strand into the graphite.

There are a ton of such videos on YouTube.

But you cannot use just any old pencil. 


I was in college when I learned that even failure is success. So far as experiment goes, and so far as writing a paper about it. I'd still get an A on the paper. I totally got over everything having to turn out according to plan, and not be ashamed, to do an experiment, experience failure, and write about what happened and why. To not take myself so seriously. Like this guy. 

Once I tried to steam bread rolls with an egg yolk inside them. The idea was the bread is like egg albumen and the yolk runs out when you break them open for egg yolk on bread similar to stabbing fried egg with a corner of toast except steamed bread not toast. I had a terrible time and wrote about my failure. That post was received well and with good humor. People said they would have given up. 

7 comments:

edutcher said...

Very cool, indeed.

Dad Bones said...

I wonder if the carvers got their start while sitting through boring classroom lectures. What most of us kids did was leave teeth marks in our pencils.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Chip said: even failure is success

This is such a good insight!!

To try something and then fail at it IS a success because you have learned something. It didn't work. It was a terrible idea. It might work if you did XX differently and then try again.

If you never try you will never fail, but then you will never have success either.

Right now, I'm trying and sometimes failing at making pizza. We have one really horrible pizza place in our small town, so I decided...hey. I can do this. I have the dough down pat. Now we are working on what toppings, combinations, amounts, flavors etc.

We can EAT my failures :-)

ricpic said...

The hundreds, possibly thousands of pencil drawings that i made on our formica topped kitchen table - a perfect surface for a pencil due to the near total lack of friction - were immediately wiped away by my Mother. Which explains a lot ha ha ha.

The Dude said...

My failures go into the burn pile, and we speak of them no more. Unless I can rework them into a product, in which case they go up for sale.

Been struggling with various projects this year, and some have been sort-of failures, but others have been steps towards bigger and better things. Was it Edison who said "Those are failures, what I have found are the things that don't work". Works for me.

ricpic said...

The Wizard of Menlo Park had some colossal failures. I just read on the net that he tried to crack the iron ore business, sold all his General Electric stock to finance his attempt to extract whatever had to be extracted (I'm no scientist) from low grade iron ore, failed and basically went broke. This was in the late 1880's early 1890's. Of course that didn't stop him. Remarkable man.

William said...

I have known some people with unusual hobbies, but Chip has every known unusual hobby. Chip did you ever think of making or collecting eighteenth century hairpieces?