Thursday, November 2, 2017

Things that frighten people:

I had a friend from Sylacauga Alabama who said "There are two kinds of snakes in this world - snakes that hurt you and snakes that make you hurt yourself."

Today as I was sweeping my shop (it could happen) I saw a black snake slithering away from me in the sawdust. I jumped back pretty good.



In deference to the gentle folk among us I will only include a picture of a snake I found in a maple tree once.

Things that frighten dogs: autonomous lawn mowers. Seriously, we were out walking and encountered one - the dogs reacted with fear, amazement and much barking. They had never seen anything like it - it was rolling along, making noise, no humans nearby. '

So there you have it - robots can take over even the most menial of tasks.

WRT my previous post:
I agree with CL that Dr. John's singing is rough, but his piano playing is smooth.

9 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Bats scare the hell out of me. Not baseball bats, blood sucking bats.

edutcher said...

We've been scared of snakes ever since Eve.

chickelit said...

Women seem more afraid of snakes than men are -- I wonder if that's Biblical as well.

chickelit said...

The German word for snake is Schlange -- cognate with schlong?

chickelit said...

Everybody loses IQ points when they start dissing artists -- I didn't mean that I didn't appreciate Dr. John -- just that I like the Humble Pie cover better.

MamaM said...

SixtyG, Your deference is a appreciated. The snake in the wood though suitably static is creepy enough; less disturbing, however, than the shot posted last week of the owner of the set of "teeth evolved to hold prey from wiggling free for a oneway trip through the mouse-pie hole."

My black snake story, shared before elsewhere, involves a 4ft black snake that slid across the sidewalk in front of me as I was walking from the pool back to the door of our courtyard facing motel room at an older (but well kept) 2-story style Holiday Inn in Wikiwatchee FL, twenty plus years ago. When I mentioned it to the maintanence man, he laughed and told me there were a pair of them on the property and they'd been mating outside the front door of the hotel the week before. Apparently left alone and valued for their ability to keep the property rodent free. I was careful to keep the room door closed after that encounter, and am able to this day, bring a clear picture of that experience to mind as highly unexpected surprise.

ampersand said...

Although I'm not afraid of them, three black cats crossed my path over the weekend. One at a backroad leading to a Home Depot, one on the bike path and the third while walking through the neighborhood. Very coincidental for the Halloween weekend.

AllenS said...

I could tell you some snake stories from when I was in the service, but I don't want any of you to have nightmares tonight.

windbag said...

Never been a fan of snakes, but have learned to mourn the loss of a black snake. They keep the rodent population in check, and-coronaries excepted-do no harm to humans.

Love the video. Here's how I wish I could dance to show my appreciation for talent like that.