Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Rio district

That's the clue for a crossword answer. Could be:

_ P _ _ _ M _

P from APU, clued Manjula's husband on "The Simpsons," and M from AMEN clued "So true!"

This is titled a Sunday challenge, and what do I look like, a Brazilian real estate agent?  Do I look like a cartographer? A national geography bee contestant? How am I supposed to know the districts of Rio de Janeiro?



This is the best version of all. She puts an edge to it. All the other million versions especially the original guy are soft except for Frank Sinatra his is a little stronger but not so strong as this. She really brings out the ogling pervy side of this song that the other versions evade by singing softly and sweetly as if admiring harmlessly so their listeners are brought to drifting easy listening trance and miss the disturbing messages tucked in later stanzas. 

Tall and tan and young and lovely
The girl from Ipanema goes walking and
When she passes, she doesn't see, my periscope 
Peeking over the wall, nor does she ever see me.

But I watch her so sadly
How can I tell her, "I love you?"
Yes, I would give my heart gladly 
But I sit with my binoculars in my van by the sea
Trained on the girl who ignores me.

At any rate, when you get stuck on a really gnarly  crossword like this sometimes it's good to put it aside and come back to it later. Sometimes when it's fresh things just come to you.

4 comments:

chickelit said...

There are some 100 versions of that song. Still it doesn't get more suave than this.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Reminded me of Amy's rendition.

Link

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

That girl was good.

Great find Chip.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I do like the edge she gives that song.

I once met a Brazilian who had 99 versions of that song. She was quite proud of it.