Saturday, December 12, 2015

Bob's nativity

He called me Bob. That was then, and it narrows the time. It's shorter and better than diminutive Bobby. Presently Bo. The name will eventually reduce to simple vocalized bilabial plosive approximating B and all that is better than Bob.

I enjoyed a sudden random burst of emails from my older brother who seldom writes. That was fun. Barry sent photos of a nativity he pulled out of storage that I made when I was a child myself. I made these, grew up with these, grew tired of these, and then left home. He told me he posted these new photos on Facebook, a place I don't go. I was here at the moment and wrote back. 
Thank you. 
I'm going to use these for a post tonight. 
They're a bit embarrassing because a child made them, but I don't care anymore. The eyes are blue dots. Or brown dots. Divided equally between them. Like we are. C'mon. I was such a little dunce.
Thank you for showing me, I bet kids like to play with them. Do you let them touch them and play around? If they break you can always glue them back. Add to their silly history. Damn, your grandkids are probably playing with them. I think that's nice. They don't care about blue dot eyes.
Barry responds quickly.
I told Brenda that if any of the kids break any one of the figurines, I would break their wrist. They are in remarkably good shape and I intend to keep them that way. So far, one of the cows is missing an ear, but that's it. Oh, was the baby Jesus supposed to be attached to the cradle? 
The baby Jesus was the last to be found in the box through all the insulation. I almost panicked to think the only piece missing would be the "star" (pun intended) of the show.
Ha ha ha. He'd have to make a baby Jesus from putty. (See? I told you he's the worst punner. It's why he's so easily amused with poorly crafted puns and why the pop-up cards slay him. Honestly, they're not that funny, but to him they're hilarious. He's rational otherwise.) But it's terrible imagining my nieces and nephews and their children threatened by mean older brother just because of a broken ceramic. I'd rather he say simply, "play and try to be careful." 
Me: Oh, I see. You're showing me Dad's handwriting.
Barry: Yes, that and the label he put on it about the sensitive instruments. I remember he built that wooden box with special insulation. I still have the box, too. Did you get all six pictures?
Barry: Your work brings special feelings to us all. All these years. I wrote on FB that it's not Christmas around here until this is brought out, and I mean that. Thank you for the sentimental memories.
Snap. Sentimental memories is deep as Barry goes. I made an enduring family tradition at ten years of age. Wanna see it? Here goes. It's stupid. And a bit big.

I hadn't seen this box before. The label means Dad stored these protected. Each piece carefully wrapped. Back and forth upstairs and down, house to house to house, each year, decade upon decade, whether or not I am there. Barry had them some eight or nine years on the other side of the country, Northeast and then South. These things have been around more than most people. Now they're in Texas.





No. Jesus must be separate, to be played with separately. By children. To fly around the room like an airplane and carefully airlifted down to the manger, just so, a gift to the world with his little blue dot eyes and all that he means for whoever looks in, whoever wonders, whoever will play.

18 comments:

bagoh20 said...

Lord savior or not, I don't care for that eye makeup thing on rock stars.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

We had a Nativity scene just like that. Only none of the extras. Just Mary, Joseph, the manger and the loose baby Jesus. We were too poor to afford the wise-men and the animals. It was just like yours, (only different paint because they came that way from where my mom got them.) Now I must ask my mom if she still has the set.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

We always fretted about losing Jesus. He's so tiny in that box of shredded paper wrap.

Chip Ahoy said...

I made those by pouring liquid clay slit into two-part and three-part plaster molds. There are 33 pieces. I think.

The molds and the clay are all in a crafts center that has its own equipment, supplies, and whatever is needed. This is intended to keep GIs out of trouble. I guess. There were hardly any GIs there. The place was well supplied but got very little attention.

I lived nearby and ingratiated myself using all the childish charm I could muster to avoid being kicked out. I did not belong there. It was not for me.

There were two sets available. The smaller set is the better more mature choice. Better detailed. Usually painted pure white, pearled white, and sometimes rarely in real gold. Gold suspended in liquid that looks like blood and burns off in the kiln leaving powder that melts, connects and forms a thin layer of real gold. That is the best choice.

I picked the larger set with more pieces and less detail because easier for me to paint detail since there's less of it, and because MOAR.

I painted it, brought it home, and that's it.

I never set it up. Not once.

I never packed it up, I never stored it, never did anything after that. Although I did notice it here and there later and once I noticed they failed to put it away rather late in the year. Meaning even they got tired of dealing with it.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

wow. The molds must have been popular and mass produced or something. If you painted the ceramic as a kid - it's really pretty good. Here's what mine would have looked like.

Chip Ahoy said...

The molds are purchased by the shop and stored on shelves. It's a library of plaster molds that held together by thick rubber straps. Customers pay to use the molds. They buy the clay slip there. And paint there. And customers pay by the square inch to use their kilns

The gold is painted on a set already finished in white. It is an overcoat and fired at much lower temperature than it takes to vulcanize the clay or whatever it is that happens. After that they'er painted with glaze and fired again at another temperature that will melt glass. It's finished.

Then the metal gold paint with an extra bake

Triscotti. Were it a delicious wheat treat.

Google images [ceramic molds nativity set]

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Bob. I'm calling you Bob from now on. ;)

It's funny the names kids conjure up. My stuffed animal collection, kept in a round yellow laundry basket, they were my "Bobbies". ?? why? I have no idea.

My cousin, who is now a grandmother, told me her young grand daughter walked up to her, pointed and declared... "You're Boopie!" ...and now that's my cousin's name. Boopie.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Our nativity set was not painted by us. It might have been given to us by some clever midwestern fancy panted arteeest who did a fine job. Light colors, if I recall. No bright bed lips.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Not that bright red lips on a wiseman is a bad thing.

Chip Ahoy said...

*jewish voice* The Wisemens, the Wisemens, always with the Wisemens.

Chip Ahoy said...

I read an old newsletter from work a few days ago about interpreting for Jeff and they called me Bob in that too. From the home office, not our office. Nobody called me that where I worked. Seeing it more than a decade later I'm all double you tea eff?

Titus said...

Just did this guy. He is Armenian!

chickelit said...

Not to pick nits, but shouldn't that "nativity scene" be an "epiphany scene"? Christmas is a birthday, but the wise men didn't show until January.

chickelit said...

@Chip: We have a "pop-up" Nativity scene. I'll try to get a photo of it tomorrow when I dig it out.

MamaM said...

for whoever looks in, whoever wonders, who ever will play.

Whoever would imagine that plaster, symbols, portents and paint inexpertly but enthusiastically and creatively used, applied and played with back in the early years would later be the same elements involved in the creation, replication, and expression of art relating to Egypt in ancient times?

That's quite a journey for a boy, a box, and a budding interest, talent, knack, gift, curiosity, or fruit of boredom to make; with the same and more unpacked and presented year after year, until the number of homes, walls, and shelves honoring the results exponentially increases to become something beyond imagination.

With this curiosity adding to the wonder: a picture from earlier on of a display on another shelf of St Francis leading a gaggle of Chia Sheep, which also traces back to the Nativity, as I learned from walking past a docent at the "Christmas and Holiday Traditions from Around the World" exhibit this week, with St Francis being regarded as one who arranged for the first Christmas Nativity/manger scene in 1223.

MamaM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim in St Louis said...

Charming, and very attractive. Mary is my favorite one.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

I love the nativity scene. It's adorable and exactly what Christmas is all about.

Link whoring here....to a post that I did several years ago about our Christmas holidays in Mexico and the best ever Nativity/diorama.

http://dustbun.blogspot.com/2011/12/best-ever-christmas-display.html

Skip to the nativity part for those who aren't interested in my childhood memories, photos and blather :-)

But, all this digression leads me to to the most awesome Christmas display ever. Even though we were not immersed in Santa and Rudolph, I believe we got a better understanding of what Christmas is all about. The Christ Child. Baby Jesus. (description of the display after the jump)

In the lobby of the hotel we were staying, they had a large diorama (I think that is the term) or display. It was a low platform about 5 feet square, with dirt mounding to a hill in the middle of the space. On top of the hill was the stable. There were little trees and bushes. Rocks and paths wandering through the landsape. Tiny sheep, cattle, horses, chickens, pigs scattered about. Small people doing activities. In the stable were Mary and Joseph and way off in one corner on the path were the Three Wisemen. There was a beautiful crystal star hanging over the stable. It was very detailed and very cool. It was also fenced off to keep us kiddies from messing with the diorama or playing with the figurines.

Every day we would get up and look at the progress of the scene because at night, the staff would come and rearrange the scene. Each day, the Wisemen would be just a bit closer up the path. The animals and people would also be moving up the hill. Mary and Joseph would move around in the stable, too. It was fun to see it and notice the changes from yesterday.

On Christmas Eve....all the pieces were so very close to the top of the hill. The excitment would be building each day because we knew how this story would end. FINALLY, on Christmas morning.....there was Baby Jesus in the manger!!! TA DAH!! All the Wisemen were in the stable and their gifts were placed before the manger. The animals were peering into the stable windows and the figures of the people were doing the same and some kneeling reverent figurines had been place close on the path and around the building.

Christmas was here!. Then we opened our presents. Went to church and later a brunch back at the hotel, because we had fasted for communion. THEN......off to the beach to swim and surf.

The traditional Christmas swiming and surfing and Margaritias for the adults.