Tuesday, August 25, 2015

"Digital surveillance 'worse than Orwell', says new UN privacy chief"

Some people were complaining because they couldn’t find me on Facebook. They couldn’t find me on Twitter. But since I believe in privacy, I’ve never felt the need for it,” Cannataci, a professor of technology law at University of Groningen in the Netherlands and head of the department of Information Policy & Governance at the University of Malta, said.
Appointed after concern about surveillance and privacy following the Edward Snowden revelations, Cannataci agreed that his notion of a new universal law on surveillance could embarrass those who may not sign up to it. “Some people may not want to buy into it,” he acknowledged. “But you know, if one takes the attitude that some countries will not play ball, then, for example, the chemical weapons agreement would never have come about.” (read the whole thing)
This could be a good thing.

3 comments:

rhhardin said...

I spend most of my time trying to get my opinions out to the public.

Spies only make it easier.

rhhardin said...

One problem is incompetent surveillance.

As with Amazon, looking for romantic comedy DVDs, suddenly it decides to recommend only teen coming-of-age comedies.

rhhardin said...

Ellen Page, _Juno_, was amusing. Some nice lines, good writing. Teen but not coming of age.