Thursday, June 25, 2015

Oxalis

I saw photos, bought them not knowing what to expect, not knowing anything. I guess I expected seeds. Received a few dozen, possibly three or four dozen tiny wrinkled fingerling sweet potatoes. That is what they looked like. By then I had forgotten what they would grow into if they would grow.

I picked out a stone pot that would hold them all in one layer and covered them with dirt. Then these popped up en masse and I had no idea what they are. They look a bit like clover.



In the morning the flowers are closed tight.



Everyone who sees this goes directly to this plant and asks about it, women, children, men. I put it on the bench only to photograph it. The planter is usually tucked under other plants.

Soon enough the flowers open to the cutest little things like cartoons then close when it turns dark or storms, so they're opening and closing all the time. They grow in clusters out of the bulb with more following behind what is already growing and blooming. I think the type of plant is used for ground cover.

The flowers aim toward the sun then the leaves fold back like feathering propellers when they become too hot. The plant is very reactive, oddly turning toward and away from the sun.


They were first to come up and so far easiest to grow with least complaints. They haven't browned from too much water as others, they haven't wilted from too much sun as others, they haven't suffered by wind and hail as others have they haven't wilted from being too dry. I haven't pulled out anything dead.

I would like to have more and I see as all things they come in a broad range of different types including this one I noticed on a Spanish site called Oxalis Versicolor then on English sites the same thing named Candycane sorrel.


I want. 

The best place I found is out of stock presently and won't be selling again until August anyway. What a bummer. 

So now that you know about this wonderful plant even if you don't care to have one or ten or a few hundred, how will you come up with the name on the spot before the buzzer goes off the next time you're contestant on Jeopardy! or answer a crossword clue without hesitation, or otherwise win the admiration of your peers by producing the name as if normal conversation?  

I don't know. I have no idea how your mind works.


3 comments:

edutcher said...

Nice.

We need to remember there is beauty in this old world.

chickelit said...

The name comes from the plant and flower's high oxalic acid content. "Oxalic" in turn comes from the Greek "oxy" meaning sharp as in acidic. Oxygen means "oxy-formng" in neo-Greek and literally means "acid-forming" and reflects the once common belief (main Lavoisier) that all acids contained oxygen. This was debunked by Sir Humphry Davy link.

The German name for Oxalis is Sauerklee which means "sour clover."

You shouldn't eat oxalis -- especially if you're prone to or at risk for kidney stones.

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

What would be the chances of a four-leafed one?