Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Pop-up Book of Phobias

By Gary Greenberg and Matthew Reinhart, earns 4.5 stars on Amazon from 88 reviews. $34.00



I have this book and I forgot it's this good. People love it. This is very unlike Reinhart's usual style of layered complexity. No less clever this book is more graphics-oriented throughout. 

It's not what I wanted to show. Earlier today on a television show about funny videos, a girl is shown looking through a toddler's animal pop-up book. She opens the page to a full two page black pop-up spider and she freaks out and screams and clears away from the book first backward then warily circling around it so comically there is no room for sympathy just hilarity, but I cannot find the video. 

Like this, but funnier. This is not funny. The kid is too young. He screams. They laugh in the video but it's not funny. There are a couple more videos like this.


No me gusta. I don't like the ones with babies. They see the black spider right there and they're scared because they're obviously racist.

Kidding.

I saw three such videos with this spider, and that gives me an idea for a page for the book intended for my brother's boys. It must have such a spider.

Sabuda shows how to make one of these spiders using V-mechanism that actually does pop up with legs attached to the mechanism. You can notice that each of the legs forms a rhomboid parallelogram with the upright side of the V-mechanism and the background of the card.


My spider would be different, a solid narrow table down the center, with leg attachments extending off both sides to take up the full space of both pages. Mine will not pop up but rather fail to lay flat.

I'm not against scaring boys, I'm for it, But babies are not fair game, that's just cruel. I was a scared little boy, even the Wizard of Oz was too much for me in the 3rd grade and that's kind of old to be scared of a witch.

On the radar base at Benton, Barry and I walked to the tiny theater intended for GIs manning the base. We saw a movie about people in medieval court killing each other, maybe Richard III, the women wore cones for hats with pastel floaty handkerchiefs wafting from their points. They put a cage over a man's head and dropped a hungry rat in it. Gave me nightmares for decades. I'd shut off the light in the basement then race up the stairs all the way until I was twenty-two. When I saw teenagers laughing at Elm Street horror movies, laughing all the way through at how ridiculous they are, I became embarrassed. But no less afraid.

This video below kills me, and I mean kills me. It's the sort of thing kids do to each other. It's a game called Scary Maze. It's hardly a maze at all, just a pathway, the point of the game is focus one's attention to a dot. And just as the boy focuses on moving the dot through a pathway so does the video watcher focus on the boy, the purity of his face, the blond hair curling from under the hat, the pure red of the hat, a clean little boy up to good clean harmless fun in domestic peace and tranquility playing an online game.


I love this so much. He could have hurt himself badly but I'm laughing too hard to care, now that is funny. I live for moments like this in real life.  He is just blasted out of his own chair. What great reflexes. The way the chair folded makes it. Like the little kittens that freak over nothing. Apparently it's a spider because the video keeps coming up with [pop-up spider] search.

One these internet pop-ups like the boy is watching scared a girl to tears. 

1 comment:

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Spiders are naturally creep-factor inducing. All those legs. No trust.