Tuesday, January 13, 2015

“You don’t really think about anything”

“You simply exist. It’s a very dark place to find yourself because, in a sense, you are allowing yourself to vanish.”
One day, Joan, in a state of hopelessness, told her son, “I hope you die.”

“Yes, I was there, not from the very beginning, but about two years into my vegetative state, I began to wake up,” Martin recalls. “I was aware of everything, just like any normal person. Everyone was so used to me not being there that they didn’t notice when I began to be present again. The stark reality hit me that I was going to spend the rest of my life like that – totally alone.”

Martin had even heard his mother’s cruel words.
"Man awakens from 12 years in 'vegetative state'"
 
Martin Pistorious fell into a mysterious coma
when he was a vibrant 12-year-old boy in the 1980s.
Not the guy I would spot in a lineup ;) Looks very good for a guy who's been away that long.

More on this story here.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

So he was out of it but aware of all the garbage people were saying to him. wow.

This is why I say nice things to the pets.

ricpic said...

It's embarrassing when a man trolls for sympathy.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I wander if he is related to the amputee that killed his girlfriend.

AllenS said...

I dunno, something doesn't seem right here.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I'd say he's one of the lucky ones because the vast majority of us never awaken from our vegetative state.

bagoh20 said...

This guy's story reminds me of my own youth when I was far more left-thinking - “You don’t really think about anything”.

Rabel said...

"If you could be a vegetable" (without the quotes) pulls 90,800,000 results on google.

Cucumber would be my answer.

Seriously though, "vegetative state" should not be confused with "comatose."

Chip Ahoy said...

I think I would be a carrot.

I had a carrot patch once, just a package of seeds strewn randomly but somewhat evenly in an area of loose well-worked dirt. Turned out to be underneath a drip from an air conditioner. The patch grew light green feathers for tops that gradually grew taller and grew together and turned into beautiful filled out patch of dark plants similar to ferns. Their tops are beautiful. Their roots grew straight down. In the Fall, they pulled right up, and man, were they ever good. And I just now found some carrot seeds. But I think they're about 7 years old.

AllenS said...

Wait a minute. When you come out of a 12 year vegetative state, do you look all bubbly?

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

If I could be a vegetable I want to be a tomato.

Rabel said...

The fruit bat is just trying to start trouble.

rcommal said...

I'm going to buy and read the book before I comment. I am suspicious of the article promoting it.

rcommal said...

Not to mention what folks might find attractive about the article promoting it.