Friday, December 5, 2014

KLEM FM


Tomorrow is St. Nicholas' Day according to the Catholic calendar. Dutch and German children traditionally put out shoes this evening in hopes that St. Nicholas will fill them with treats and goodies.  In the following movie clip, a young Dutch girl sings about the "shoes." I couldn't find a single clip of the scene and so post them both for context. Edmund Gween won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor (1947) for this role.


The scene is rarely translated (at least when I've seen it, but I haven't seen it lately).
Kris: Hello! I'm glad you came.
Dutch Girl: Oh, you are Santa Claus!
Kris: But of course!
Dutch Girl: I knew, I knew for sure that you would understand!
Kris: Of course, just tell me what you would like to have from Sinterklaus.
Dutch Girl: Nothing, I already have a lot--I only want to be with this nice lady.
Kris: Will you sing a song for me? 
The video rudely cuts off here, but here's the rest, and a translation of the lyrics:


Sinterklaas kapoentje, 
Gooi wat in mijn schoentje, 
Gooi wat in mijn laarsje, 
Dank u, Sinterklaasje. 

Christmas capon,*
Throw something in my shoe,
Throw something in my boot,
Thank you, Sinterklaas.

6 comments:

chickelit said...

I'd like to know how the tradition of gift giving dissociated from St Nicholas Eve to Christmas.

And when did this happen?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Nice post Chicke

Chip Ahoy said...

I learned about Syncretism through reading about Egypt.

On the surface their religion appears to be steady over thousands of years but that is hardly so. As the fortunes of cities waxed and waned the attributes of their gods combined and evolved.

There most likely is no one specific point in time nor place where the tradition of giving switched from St. Nicholas Eve to Christmas.

The date of the birth of Christ was not known to early Christians. His birth was not celebrated, emphases was on his death.

The Paulinization of Christianity persisted beyond his death, involved appealing to a broad range of people who had their own set of customs. You see remnant Mithraic rituals carried over, it being the religion of typical Roman soldiers. Early churches were built right on top of Mithraic temples as Christianity overtook it.

Outward from Rome the Germanic tribes had their own celebrations they were loath to let go of, some having to do with Equinox. Elements of Mythologies were combined at different times and different places. The gift giving of tradition of St. Nicholas near the time of evolving Christian traditions is an easy switch being so near to the Christian myth of three wise men giving gifts of incense, myrrh, and gold.

*Jewish voice* Wisemans, Wisemans, Wisemans, always the Wisemans.

We see this evolution today through poems that become songs about Christmas, new elements are introduced describing Santa Claus, movies become popular with regular showing that become tradition. Our own culture changes to accept songs in Spanish, it is all so heartfelt. Christian traditions become subverted by commercial interests, come under attack by atheists, what have you. It is all evolving creation and destruction of tradition by syncretism.

(one of my favorite gifts was X20 There is a Catholic supply shop nearby on Santa Fe. It is loaded with cool stuff.

I actually found myrrh in there. Awful stuff with no good use, and of course a lot of incense of the type Churches use. For gold I used Hanukkah gold foil wrapped chocolate coins.

But how to wrap all that? I used Christmas tree bulbs. I gave them to people around me immediately. My dad played with his incense until it was gone. He loved it. A friend burned his coffee table. A waitress had no idea what it was about. Never did make the connection. A bartender was tickled pink. Stunk up the place and broke three glass cigarette ash trays burning it all night.)

I'll get my coat.

chickelit said...

Dank je wel, Lem.

Christy said...

Couldn't see any of the vids (device doesn't load them) but I remember well that Dr. Who scene. Didn't the Romans disarm the tribes of the British Isles two millennia ago?

Tom Baker, 4th Doctor, taught me how to pronounce ancient Egyptian names.

ricpic said...

Santa baby, just slip a sable under the tree for me,
Been an awful good girl,
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa baby, a '54 convertible too, light blue,
I'll wait up for you dear,
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa baby, I want a yacht and really that's not a lot,
Been an angel all year,
Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight.



The immortal Eartha Kitt!