Tuesday, September 2, 2014

"Neanderthal 'artwork' found in Gibraltar cave"

"The archaeologist estimates that the full engraving would have required 200-300 strokes with a stone cutting tool, taking at least an hour to create. "[Dolomite] is a very hard rock, so it requires a lot of effort to produce the lines," he told BBC News.


"If you did it in a single session, you would most probably injure your hand, unless you cover your tool with a piece of skin," he said.

Prof d'Errico explained that the rock was in a very visible location in the cave and that the engraving would have stood out to any visitors.

"It does not necessarily mean that it is symbolic - in the sense that it represents something else - but it was done on purpose," he said.

"It's almost like Clapham Junction, like it's showing an intersection. I'm speculating, but it does make you wonder whether it has something to do with mapping, or saying: 'This is where you are'."

Prof d'Errico added: "It's in a fixed location so, for example, it could be something to indicate to other Neanderthals visiting the cave that somebody was already using it, or that there was a group that owned that cave."

16 comments:

The Dude said...

Good stuff - the original tic-tac-toe, stone age style!

Rabel said...

Noughts and crosses maybe, but it looks a lot like my bedroom wall about half way through my attempt to hang a big screen TV.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

it's the first Twitter # hashtag... standing for...

ricpic said...

Where the cro-magnon women at?

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Mondrian was apparently not ahead of his time.

Christy said...

Cool! Reminds me a bit of Ogham, the medieval Irish writing system.

Amartel said...

Oooh, I've been there. They've known the caves were inhabited at one time by Neanderthals for a while (tools found). Neanderthals did artwork is new, though. There are some cave paintings by cro magnons relatively nearby at Ronda. I guess this is where everyone was hanging out in Europe right before the last global warming.

Amartel said...

Obviously, it's a tic-tac-toe board.

Amartel said...

#neanderthalsrock

KCFleming said...

I found it derivative.

Chip Ahoy said...

Cow: I said, "HAY," Bartender. But speaking of arts. I cannot find a replacement for my Santa Fe Opera poster. Bummer. That was terribly meaning to me, and now it's ruined. But the poster itself is not that interesting. And it is not for the Magic Flute specifically, rather the whole season. There are plenty of good ones that will do as well, but you know what? I like my own 'cow supermoon' more than I like any of the Santa Fe Opera posters available. Plus, those ersatz Santa Fe Opera posters are all something like $30.00 and I can have my own printed for $10.00. So I did. I realized medium size is more suitable for my frame (with a mat behind it) than the large size would be. I'll see for myself how well this turns out.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that a bunch of other neanderthals stood around, watching the artist, condemning the work as racist.

Rabel said...

It could be Neanderthal for "welcome homos".

The sapiens saw it and took it the wrong way and now there are no Neanderthals.

Fr Martin Fox said...

It reminds me of G.K. Chesterton's Everlasting Man, which I have read, I think, three times, and I am due to read a fourth time.

In which he observes, something like...

You can find ancient drawings by men, of animals; but you will look an even longer time for drawings by animals of men.

For all those who think man is just another animal.

KCFleming said...

It's "I before E" mister Neanderthal.
I before E.

chickelit said...

Neanderthal

According to German orthography, the "th" consonant combination became extinct a century ago or so. Of course, we English speakers are cognizant of "tal" or "thal" as "dale" (Grimm's Law). At first blush, one might think that the so-called "Neader dale" is a valley through which the Neader river meanders. Not so. Neander was named after a man -- a Neumann -- "New Man" (Neu + Ander).

BTW, nothing exists today of the original Neanderthal cave.

Fact or Fiction?