Thursday, May 22, 2014

KLEM FM: Charlie Watts' Golden


The key to Led Zeppelin is that somebody is always playing a counter point. You can hear that. ~Jimmy Page
I know that Page was talking musically and about his band, but the observation popped into my head as I began write a tribute to Charlie Watts who will celebrate his 50th wedding anniversary in October.


Through all those years of temptation, one guy stays true and faithful to his wife in the context of The Rolling Stones. That's sort of a "counter point" isn't it?

***

I always thought Charlie Watts' rock drumming was deceptively simple. He wasn't hard to copy. Sort of like Ringo. His jazz drumming is another story. You can tell he's an old school drummer by the way he holds his sticks: traditional grip.

Here's Johnny Depp narrating Keith Richards' version of the time Charlie Watts slugged Mick Jagger.  [skip to 3min 43sec for the violent part, but watch the whole thing for context]:


A slew of videos cherry-picked to feature Charlie Watts is here

11 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

"No one guys' on top of it"

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I like this version of that song...

I did not have it btw ;)

But now I do. thanks

rcommal said...

In advance, I acknowledge the validity of the accusation of pedantry. That said, "counterpoint" is a specific term and "counter point" ain't the same thang.

Just sayin'.

The Dude said...

Don't count 'er point.

Icepick said...

We don't know that Charlie was true and faithful all these years, just that they've stayed together. See Donald Sterling and his wife for a counter example of a long married couple with at least one partner straying. (This latest with that Stiviano woman isn't the first time Don has been caught stepping out.)

bagoh20 said...

I've never made love to my wife, so I guess I've been true in a sense.

bagoh20 said...

I'm sure he never admits it, but he wishes he'd played it differently. Playing just one drum is passing up a lot of music.

chickelit said...

Playing just one drum is passing up a lot of music.

Nice choice of verb. You never hear drummers who use the traditional grip "banging" drums. It's a defter touch all around.

chickelit said...

rcommal said...
In advance, I acknowledge the validity of the accusation of pedantry. That said, "counterpoint" is a specific term and "counter point" ain't the same thang

Thanks for the distinction. I was thinking "point, counter point."

Amartel said...

When I heard this story, Charlie says, "Don't call me your drummer. You're MY singer." Then punches Mick and walks out. I think that's Mick's version.

chickelit said...

Amartel: Rashomon effect