Thursday, April 3, 2014

Court Reporter: ‘I hate my job’

"A... Manhattan court stenographer went rogue, channeling his inner “Shining” during a high-profile criminal trial and repeatedly typing, “I hate my job, I hate my job” instead of the trial dialogue, sources told The Post."
One high-level source said his “gibberish” typing may have jeopardized hard-won convictions by giving criminals the chance to claim crucial evidence is missing.

[The] botched transcripts include the 2010 mortgage-fraud trial of Aaron Hand, who was also convicted of trying to hire a hit man to take out a witness against him.

[I]n a scene right out of 1980’s “The Shining,” where Jack Nicholson’s off-the-rails writer repeatedly types “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,” a source said of  the court reporter: “He hit random keys or wrote, ‘I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job,’ over and over.” read more
 
***

The Most Popular Job In Every State

"Some jobs are disproportionately concentrated in certain states. Fashion designers flock to New York, Texas has an outsize share of petroleum engineers, and Floridians are much more likely to be motorboat operators than are other Americans."
We made a map that shows the most over-represented job in each state, using the Bureau of Labor Statistics' recently released May 2013 "Occupational Employment Statistics." Each state has far more of these jobs per capita than the nation as a whole.

17 comments:

john said...

"Plasterer" defines my life quite well. In fact I've been tapering for some time now, just ask my wife.

ricpic said...

Subway operators in Maryland?!

The Dude said...

Yeah, there are subways in Maryland. I used to ride them when I lived there. They were clean and well lighted, graffiti-free, and as such, they would not be recognized as a subway by a New Yorker.

Rabel said...

I want to be a headline writer. You don't seem to even be required to read the article you headline.

I would just steal lines from Betamax and apply them randomly.

ndspinelli said...

Lem's state has too many marriage counselors. I thought it would be hoagie makers or gas station attendants. Do you folks know you can't pump your own gas in NJ? It's the Mets/Yankee/Phillies Fan Full Employment Act.

The Dude said...

Same thing in Oregon - I used to panic those PDF's by jumping out of my rental car and filling it up - it's not really that impressive of a skill, as it turns out. But man, those pump jockeys sure were twitchy, just sayin'...

ricpic said...

Sixty Puts Damned Yankee In His Place!

That's my headline writer headline for this comment thread.

Could also be Uppity Yankee.

The Dude said...

Tomato, tomahto, it's all good.

Trooper York said...

Hey Madison Wisconsin is number one for douchebags.

That figures.

john said...

“It should have been questions and answers — instead it was gibberish,”

I think Kochanski would fit in well as an ASL signer in South Africa. His alcoholism would be seen as a plus.

edutcher said...

Foundry casters?

I thought they grew conlawprofs.

Synova said...

Heh... Physicists.

The joke is that everyone in Alamogordo is either a high school drop out or a rocket scientist.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Popular Job??? I don't think that word applies.

I'm pretty sure that "farmworker" isn't really the most "popular" job in California. Everyone is just clamoring and waiting in line to be a fabulous farmworker /facepalm.

It is likely the most represented by percentages...but popular? Hardly.

Unknown said...

"Atmospheric and Space scientists"

One set of neighbors who are husband and wife, are from China. They are really nice, both are super intelligent, and they happen to be atmospheric and space scientists. weird.

bagoh20 said...

"Farmworker" may now include pot farms, so yea, there could be a popular component to that number in California.

Chip Ahoy said...

Fass a natin

William said...

A very wealthy real estate developer knows more about the angles than Pythagoras. He hires the court reporter to transcribe gibberish at his trail. If he wins his case, it's over and he's free. If he loses, he's got grounds for a new trail and gets to stay out of jail for another couple of years. The court reporter covers his tracks by transcribing gibberish on a few other cases. The reporter claims PTSD or some such thing and gets a disability pension along with the bribe.....And people claim there's no such thing as American exceptional ism.