Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pilot's view, landing, Queenstown N.Z.

Chonday LINK

This is why we fly.  

Sometimes what pilots see in a day people will not see in their lifetimes. 

Oh get over yourself. That's what is written over there, not just this copy but the other copies I saw. Apparently they imagine passengers all blind.

para para paradise
para para paradise
WhoooOOOooaoah.

Cold Play is singing.

The ride is a thrill. You fly between mountain ridges right above a thick layer of clouds, fly, fly, fly above a puffy carpet, then abruptly turn right into the mountain ridge, but it's an opening! Right as you drop into the cloud layer and everything goes gray and you can't see nuth'n, and it goes and goes and goes in gray, flying on instruments, trusting technology then suddenly the city of Queenstown appears in crystal clarity ahead and the runway in sight and just as fast you're coming upon the runway and just as fast as that you're touching down. Whew.

I don't care for flying anymore. It used to be fun. I liked hanging out at airports, but not anymore. Bummer too because I'm better at photography than before but airports are a lot more of a drag than ever before, and they wouldn't care for a guy aimlessly photographing things. The fun is gone.

The last time I flew I told myself, don't do this to yourself again. I was forced to recount in detail why, it was important to dredge up every uncomfortable detail and exaggerate to make my case. I really do not want to be crammed in like that again. I really do not want to put up with all the things one must just to ride a plane. Not worth it.

But it's not that bad, so I had to exaggerate. And it worked.

I go, "Well, how do you get around all the time, are you flying first class or what?'

That got Joe talking about different fares. I already knew, but I let him go on because the point was sinking in. As it was another friend had just taken off that day for Singapore and I asked about him. How does that guy tolerate such a long flight. Is he flying that whole way first class or what? Answer; yes. Turns out, the seat is whole separate little cabin that turns into a bed, a private closed off bed so you can sleep comfortably most the way. It's a whole different ballgame, part of the fun.

I'd do that.

I'd do this.

This looks like fun. I'd do this in a heartbeat. This is entirely different. This is free of all my complaints. Charter a plane and I'll be the first one in line. We rented planes all the time before. Let's go so far as Queenstown and hope for a foggy morning. 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Used the entire runway.
I love the moment at touchdown - reminded of the speed.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

It felt like a glider, the look felt like a glider. I've never been on a glider but the low speed and maneuvering has a certain look to it. I don't know if I'm making sense.

Unknown said...

It did feel smooth like a glider. Until the touchdown. Then bam. Speed.

New Zealand has been on my bucket list for a long time. Growing up, my parents had a coffee table book on New Zealand and I used to sit and page through the photos and dream of a visit.

bagoh20 said...

I does look completely different from the cockpit, and knowing that you are in control makes a huge difference to the thrill factor of course.

I have a Private Pilot License and started taking lessons the day after JFK jr. crashed his plane. Learning to fly was probably the most exhilarating thing I ever did. I learned at HHR which is a small airport that sits right next to LA international in the middle of a huge metropolis surrounded by high mountains, ocean, and broad deserts. The landing approach is along side the approach to LAX so you fly right next to the big airliners coming in.

To go northeast, you have to fly under the incoming heavy aircraft landing at LAX. If you do it right, they will be a couple thousand feet above you, but once when I was learning and flying solo, I got a little off course and noticed a huge Alaska airliner right above me, maybe 500 feet. I had followed the wrong freeway and was illegally close. When I landed at my destination, the tower controller told me to call the FAA as soon as I got off the runway, which is the worst thing you can hear one of them say to you.

I called and identified myself and the guy says "Did you happen to see the people waving at you in that huge plane over your head?" I said, "yea", and explained my mistake. Nothing happened, and nobody was really in danger, but he told me they would be watching my flights from now on, and I better be flawless.

Anyway, learning to fly is just an awesome experience which is wonderful combination of science, math, navigation, physics, and meteorology which you use all together in unison every time you fly, and it's just beautiful and amazing to do. Every flight is a miracle, and I have so many memories of the thrill of something new each time.

I don't fly planes anymore, because it's just crazy expensive, but I got the whole thrill of flying and learning all over again when I transitioned to hang gliding which is related, but totally different, and almost free once you have learned. I recommend either one for anyone who wants to spice up their life. I learned both things in my forties, and found it was not too late to be thrilled like a kid again.

It's one of the strangest and most wonderful experiences to land and take off from a remote unmanned airport someplace in the desert or mountains. They often seem haunted, sitting silent but fully operational, and only you there landing and able fly away like Mad Max after the holocaust. It's creepy and beautiful, with a big dose of nostalgia. These small airports have been disappearing for decades now and are getting rare today. There used to be hundreds in the L.A. area, but now only a handful remain.

AReasonableMan said...

April Apple said...
New Zealand has been on my bucket list for a long time. Growing up, my parents had a coffee table book on New Zealand and I used to sit and page through the photos and dream of a visit.


New Zealand is beautiful and very much worth a visit, especially the south island. Instead of wasting your time spinning conspiracy theories on the web you should get off your butt and go.

AReasonableMan said...

bagoh20 said...
learning to fly is just an awesome experience which is wonderful combination of science, math, navigation, physics, and meteorology which you use all together in unison every time you fly, and it's just beautiful and amazing to do. Every flight is a miracle, and I have so many memories of the thrill of something new each time.

I don't fly planes anymore, because it's just crazy expensive


I get much the same feeling setting off into the ocean in my relatively small boat. You should consider a boat, not cheap but cheaper. From where you live there are some interesting trips available.

Unknown said...

ARM -Coming from a 9/11 conspiracist, that's rich.

Beloved Commenter AReasonableMan said...

April Apple said...
ARM -Coming from a 9/11 conspiracist, that's rich.


No evidence for this. You are simply lying. Why do you need to do this?

deborah said...

And now for something completely the same, we'll hear from an authoritarian leftie:

"New Zealand is beautiful and very much worth a visit, especially the south island. Instead of wasting your time spinning conspiracy theories on the web you should get off your butt and go."

Sieg heil, asshole.

Chip Ahoy said...

Thank you for that bagoh20.

I do see all that. I do feel it too.

The reason why hang gliding is more fulfilling to me than flying little airplanes is a stupid one. Hang gliders make me more like a bird. Fly more naturally like Superman. bird + superman = hang gliding.

Little planes = flying VW

The thrill that you wrote about is the same thrill that I felt the first time I touched a hang glider, held one as if it were a kite, and felt the way the wind takes it, imparts life to the wings, and makes the whole kit, sail, tube and wire, feel like a horse, a flying horse, Pegasus pulling at the reins, my reins, the same thrill of my feet being lifted off the ground, not touching when running, flying a short distance, and touching down like a bird, I swear I could have jumped right out my skin. Where was the band? Where was the field band banging drums and cymbals that I felt were there and heard? An escuisite excuisite exquizite felling that is quite nice indeed and nobody there to celebrate with me. An utterly private thrill of my life.

deborah said...

"I'm sorry but I have become tired of April deliberately misinterpreting everything I write. What's the point of doing that?"

Please link to at least two examples. My problem here is you coming into a pleasant thread and telling someone to get off their butt. From what little I've gleaned, April works for a living installing some sort of equipment. I don't ask for details in people's lives, so I don't know what it is she installs.

Call her on it at the time she does what you claim, and not when she's commenting on the beauty of NZ.

deborah said...

PS, never mind my request for links. Often I don't follow the political discussions, so have grand old dogfights and enjoy.

My final sentence stands, though.