Sunday, November 10, 2013

Happy Together

I was linked to a site that talked about how this song is sampled a lot, how samples of the song are put into so many things, and how this song more than any other exemplifies the 60's. I was not so sure about that. I was not so interested in the article so did not read it carefully, nor did I view the video provided. But I did open another window and search [happy together asl] to hear the song and look at its interpretations at the same time. Usually they are rather bad, like people practicing or showing what they just learned, but this one is surprisingly good. I'm showing this because I find this interpretation exceptionally clear.

This guy, Teddy, a character in his scarf and hat, uses a musical break to pretend, and he acts out in a way that conveys the playful sense of the music playing. *ding*



Compare and contrast, if you like.

Sophie is also very good. They both are. Nearly identical. She says the word "together" the way I do, straightforward, not around all over as Teddy does.


They both say the "be" for "will be" and that marks them  both as hearing. A deaf person would have used the word "will" for "future" and drop the English locution "will be" Both these have a hard emphasis on BE because the song does that. The word appears on a beat. They both wanted their BE to land on the song's BE, and that makes it English not ASL.

2 comments:

virgil xenophon said...

It's Turtles all the way down for me..

deborah said...

This is neat. My daughter signs to songs to keep her signing practiced. I'll ask her to do this song.