Thursday, August 22, 2013

biscuits and gravy


The biscuit is loaded with butter and contains a trace of vanilla. Who does that? 

The gravy is homemade chicken broth, but it is on the weak side so compensated for with spices. A veritable American curry direct from the spice cabinet, a broad range of flavors, in powder form, my favorites balanced out in small amounts. 

Everything counts in small amounts. 

All of those powders, coriander, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne chile powder, Mexican oregano formed a roux with flour and butter that is lifted off with sweet red vermouth to an aromatic sludge then chicken broth whisked to desired thickness. In three minutes.

And it is soooo good and satisfying, honestly I should weigh twenty stone. I'm glad there is always MOAR!!11!!.

13 comments:

rhhardin said...

Where biscuits come from.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

When I was a little kid I was better than my mother at whacking the cardboard tube on the edge of the kitchen counter which is how I came to believe that I was destined to do great things.

ricpic said...

I'm guessing you weigh 14 stone.

Anonymous said...

Most eastern European soups, stews and sauces are roux based. Oil, flour, brown flour from a blond roux to a deep cocoa, depending on taste. At blond stage, add minced garlic, continue to brown roux and garlic, now add Hungarian Paprika, toast away but don't burn. Add liquid of choice, either soup stock, or if you want Hungarian tomato soup, add tomato sauce. Add spices to taste and drop in egg dumplings, yes in the tomato soup. Be careful, don't singe them in the thick richness of the tomato soup.

Whoa I got a bit carried away in the rouxness of my mind.

Anonymous said...

Germans of eastern European leanings, call this garlicy, paprika rich roux "einbren". Best gravy evah too if you are Hungarian or German, add a dollop of sour cream to the gravy, mmmmm.

Unknown said...

Where I live, the gravy is made from breakfast sausage, butter, cream, and white flour. Don't be talkin' about no roux, or addin' any of your fancy pants spices.

Unknown said...

My favorite savory dish with vanilla is Vanilla Grouper at a place called Caps in St.Augustine. Tried once to duplicate it but it wasn't the same, will have to try again one of these days.

Methadras said...

Aside from Biscuits and Gravy, there is chicken fried steak. The best I've ever had and I think the best anywhere is in little place called Giant Chef in Pleasant Hill, CA. It is made fresh and you can see them making it right in front of you with a white sausage gravy made daily. I miss it so.

Methadras said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ken in tx said...

A biscuit with vanilla, sugar, or fruit in it is a scone. A huge biscuit is soda bread.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Biscuits and gravy, when done right, is just awesome.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I had cat's head biscuits. They are called that because they are as big as a cat head.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Cat Head Biscuits!