Wednesday, July 31, 2013

tattoos

What I got up to when you weren't looking. This is about hieroglyphics, skip if you like, I will not be offended. Not one bit.
A visitor from Japan dropped into one of my other little sites where I tack up various nonsense, a visit from photobucket hieroglyphic set and that is unusual so I looked to see which hieroglyphic chicken scratch would interest a viewer in Japan and it turns out to be the word for "old". 

From there the visitor went to a page with beginner phrases. And there are some really cool phrases too that I think would make decent tattoos. If they were drawn better than mine. 

I remembered a guy with a large ankh drawn on his torso. You rarely see that glyph on its own in real glyphics. And here are all these nice phrases available, nothing at all tricky with grammar.  

I looked in images to see if other hieroglyphic tattoos would be that single ankh. If so, I am ready to ridicule them completely. But it turns out I'm wrong. They are all rather nice, sophisticated in fact, and better than I draw them myself. 

Let's read them.

Focus, Dude. 

Oh, that means disease. It's an oval tipped over, there are two types of this symbol and he picked the squishy one, this one has tendril and looks like a big fat sperm with ears, but they mean disease. And with the tail, the person is saying it's bad. That's what sticks out among all of that. It's odd and sticks right out. It is the last character of four characters printed on somebody's back. They are excellent unadorned stark glyphs as if typewritten. The b/w photograph stark too in its low quality. 

The first character is a standing eagle, "ah," when you sound it out in your head, and the second character looks like a feather is a sedge frond, "ei" when you sound it out in your head, and the third is a tall incomplete inverted u representing folded linen meaning the sound for "es" when you sound it out in your head, and I suddenly felt sad.

He has AIDS and is saying so with his tattoo, and sad too because he left out the "d" which would be a flat hand.  

Wait. I'm wrong again.  "ahies" means brain. Really now. When you have that determinative symbol for "disease" sticking right out like that. Meaning "body organ" for this and not necessarily a diseased body organ, I did hear Egyptians regarded the brain as junk but I did not hear it regarded as disease, and he did select the symbol with stuff squirting out, the other non-squirting symbol less interesting, I suppose. For some reason he says "brain" quite clearly on his back. That's the problem with sounding things out phonetically, a portion of your thinking goes to assembling as you go and it's zipping around drawing conclusions for you based on everything there and gets it wrong. It's why I come off as such a dunce all the time.

This one has a wadjet eye and a stylized cartouche containing a lion, "leh", standing eagle, "ah", baby chicken  "weh" or "eu", stylized human mouth "ar", standing eagle, "ah."  leh -ah-ew-ar-ah, l. The name is the modern name "Laura." I double-dog betchya.

One more. 

Tattooed leg or arm, I do not know, one or the other. Like a typewriter inside a cartouche. Royal names go in cartouches so expect the name of royalty. Owl, "em",  string with a knot, alternate "oh", half circle "tee", simple maze, "heh", forearm "eh", stylized human mouth, "ar" so then, em-oh-tee-heh-er-ar, the English word "mother"

Isn't this fun?  I'm impressed with these thoughtful tattoos. They completely surprise me and there is real art too. I do appreciate these.

I was thinking the way to go is put a protective symbol across your whole back possibly embellished with a simple spell, something along the lines of, "whosoever messes with this human being while he is here on Earth I shall break their neck like a bird." And, this is important so that it works, the subject must forego idle conversation with the artist and slip into a meditative trance while enduring the prolonged torture of being tattooed and that will serve as required ritual for both artist and subject that imbues the symbol energizing it with protective magic. 

21 comments:

rhhardin said...

Nobody considers morse code.

Basta! said...

Chip,

The word 3is means "viscera". "Brain" is 3is n djnnt, "viscera of the skull". The determinative is thought to depict a pustule or gland, which does make some sort of sense with squishy guts.

Michael Haz said...

What's wrong with cursive?

Basta! said...

Look at the first one in the 5th row, spelling out "Jacqueline". Haha.

Egyptian never had a separate sign for the sound "l". Earlier they used either 3 or n, mainly for foreign names with an l-sound in them. In the New Kingdom they switched to either r or rw (rw being the recumbent lion) for "l", both for foreign names and for the increased number of Semitic loanwords that they'd incorporated into their vocabulary.

Basta! said...

I think you're right about m-wa-t-h-a being "mother", but I don't understand why someone would do that. I mean, if you're going to bother with hieroglyphs and the concept exists in Egyptian, why not just use the Egyptian word --- in this case mwt, which is the really cool vulture sign.

Also, look 2 rows down, the person phonetically spelled out the names of the gods Bastet and Anubis. But that's NOT how you spell them in Egyptian. Cripes. What a bunch of maroons! Nothing like permanently incising serious misspellings on your skin.

deborah said...

lol rh.

deborah said...

Chip, still waiting on the pyramid pop-up card.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

In the Skin I live In (2011) the "bad" guy seeks to correct "misspellings" which he is forbidden to do.

Presidente del Instituto de Biotecnología: You know the application of transgenic therapy in humans is strictly forbidden!

Robert Ledgard: Yes, I do. And forgive me, but it seems the ultimate paradox.

[Dr. Ledgard pauses, staying silent while a symposium member walks by]

Robert Ledgard: We intervene in everything around us. Meat, clothes, vegetables, fruit, everything! Why not use scientific advances to improve our species? You know how many diseases we could cure with transgenesis? Or the genetic malformations that could be avoided?

Presidente del Instituto de Biotecnología: Don't continue. I know the list by heart and I think of it every day.

Basta! said...

I just googled misspelled tattoos. And the winna:
To Thy Known Self be True

Runners up:
Sucess is a Procss
Love Concurs All
It's get better
To each is own
To Strong to Loose
Ledgends Live On
Wreckless

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Tattoos on a beautiful lady are like graffiti on a beautiful building, generally a bad idea.

There are exceptions to the rule, but they are rare.

Trooper York said...

Lem I am very disappointed in you.

Why isn't there a post about George Scott.

I wrote one even though he was only a Yankee for a cup of coffee.

Trooper York said...

Speaking of Tattoos.

Marcus Canby went to get the words "Strength, Honor and Courage" in Chinese calligraphy tattooed on his arms but he pissed off the tattoo artist so much that he put the recipe for General Tao's chicken on him instead.

Beta Rube said...

I think a good General Tso's recipe would be a welcome improvement.

Known Unknown said...

OT: Why does the sidebar seem to vibrate on the page?

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

"Tattoo on the lower back? Might as well be a bullseye."

-- Jeremy Grey, Wedding Crashers (2005)

Chip Ahoy said...

I did not want to write the word "pustule." The only word I know for those two determinative signs that do not even have a sound to go with them. They stick out so grossly. I was imagining people reading that over morning coffee so I avoided it specifically.

It was the only one I looked at that printed the word in Egyptian language. Not expecting that. I expected everything to be English turned into glyphs by trying to get their alphabet to fit English phonemes. So you'll never see biliterals or triliterals because tattoo artists do not know about those.

I'm impressed with how well they are drawn when they are not stylized. They draw them better than I .

Chip Ahoy said...

Viscera of the skull. The guts of the skull. How very odd. I did not know that.

ndspinelli said...

They had a George "Boomer" Scott bobble head day @ Miller Park earlier this year. The "Tater" man wasn't there. I figured he was probably about to pass. The man had the softest hands @ first base of anyone I've ever seen play that position.

Erik said...

I like tater tots.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Troop, actually the recipe for General Tso's Chicken would be good. You never know when you might need to whip up a batch of that tasty treat.

Basta! said...

So you'll never see biliterals or triliterals because tattoo artists do not know about those.

Yeah, that makes sense. It's just that, if it were ME, I'd make sure I'd figured out how to spell the words authentically --- just as I'd make sure English words weren't misspelled. Just hand a sheet to the tattooist, s/he doesn't have to understand it. I mean, for something so permanent I'd take the trouble.

OR, I could be satisfied with "To Thy Known Self be True" --- that one kills me.