Monday, November 6, 2017

Overheard at Lem's, or Tales From the Wisconsin Woods

AllenS said...



"...Hauling cut pieces of wood back to some cement so I can split it. I'll send you some pics, 60 of The Contraption. My latest invention."

And so he did. Behold:


Notice the fabrication details - the orientation of the parts is labeled. Blocks made from dimensional lumber are used for support, as are jack stands. The beverage container is right at hand.


The trailing wheels are from a Minnesota hay mower. They have built-in caster and are individually sprung. Minimal tire scrub with that setup.


Here is the finished machine in action. It is connected to the Farmall (FTW!) hydraulic system and lift levers. 


Here is a side view - note that all the axles and spindles are cross drilled with pins held in place with spring safeties. The lever arm has about a 3:1 ratio from the hydraulic cylinder to the piece being lifted. The round is held in place by tongs - pointy!

That, my friends, is true American ingenuity in action - using machines to reduce the amount of heavy lifting a fellow does. Top notch fabrication, also. 

13 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Looks like a sex harness contraption.

ricpic said...

I'd patent that labor saving device before the big boys (John Deere?) swoop in.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Nice job Sixty.

AllenS said...

Next installment will be changing my hay elevator into a wood elevator.

Trooper York said...

Just don't post pictures of the wood you are packing when you are watching Bioflex commercials with Christie Brinkly in yoga pants and a sports bra.

Just sayn'

AllenS said...

See that arm that is lifting the wood? That's where I got my inspiration for the project from.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AllenS said...

Notice the coffee container in the 1st photo?

Notice the coffee container not there in the 2nd photo, but a big coffee stain on the floor?

chickelit said...

Notice the coffee container not there in the 2nd photo, but a big coffee stain on the floor?

Good vibrations or jittery inventor?

ricpic said...
I'd patent that labor saving device before the big boys (John Deere?) swoop in.

The name John Deere is associated with a famous patent law: 35 U.S.C. § 103(c)

Dad Bones said...

I wondered why the PTO shield was missing but didn't notice the spilled coffee. Is there a connection? The shield reminded me of childhood horror stories of farmers getting a pant leg caught in a power-take-off shaft which then went to work winding the leg around the shaft, an experience that never turned out good. I know you're too smart to let that Farmall get your leg, Allen, just thought I'd mention one of the 20th century dangers of farming.

That's a great invention and very well made. Looking forward to seeing the wood elevator.

AllenS said...

Bones, look at pic 2, then pic 4. I moved the jack forward. Notice the handle on the jack in pic 2. When I moved the jack forward, and I turned the handle the shield interfered with the turning. The only thing that I use the PTO for nowadays is my brush cutter. Before I use that next time, I'll put the shield back on. Only 3 bolts to do it.

AllenS said...

More on the jack. In pic 2 you'll notice that the jack had a flat plate on the bottom, and I needed a block of wood attached to have enough height to be able to jack it up enough to remove it from the tractor drawbar. In pic 4 you can see that I had removed the flat plate and wooden block and welded a caster wheel to the shaft instead. More better to move the implement back or forward. Believe me, this thing is heavy.

Dad Bones said...

Aha. I didn't notice the jack tucked in out of sight. It's built to last and there's no end to the heavy things it could be rigged to pick up.