Saturday, June 11, 2016

KLEM FM


Netflix popped up a recommendation that I watched last night: "Hear My Train A Comin'." It's an "official" documentary -- endorsed by the fiercely protective "Experience Hendrix" family trust. The work was released in 2013. Because of the family involvement, there is a lot of never-before-seen footage and photos -- especially of his early and formative years as a musician. One thing I realized is embarrassingly obvious in hindsight. One of those interviewed noted that Hendrix was unique in having been so rooted in American blues and then having moved to London in the fall of 1966 during the very height of the music scene there. Hendrix observed British psychedelia at its peak. Who else did that? Other American musicians may have toured Britain, but none of them actually moved there.

Highly recommend!

12 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll watch it.

chickelit said...

That clip is not from "Hear My Train A Comin'" (the Hendrix family fiercely protects such unauthorized clips). But, it's the second best version of the song.

chickelit said...

Nick, the clip I posted is from a DVD called "Hendrix Band Of Gypsys" which I own and highly recommend.

chickelit said...

Hendrix also brought Marshall amps (from a little-known London-based company) back with him.

ndspinelli said...

I think we discussed the doc about the Atlanta Pop Festival appearance by Hendrix? It was OK, I give it a 6.5-7.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Hi Chick. Quick question. Hopefully you know the answer.

I had to reset the computer to factory settings. Luckily, it's not as scary as it sounds. Windows 10 allows you to keep all your files if you want, which I did of course.

So now now i have all the iTunes music folders with the files in them but no iTunes installed yet. So, the question is, should I be able to install iTunes and have iTunes recognize the files seamlessly, w/o a problem?

Or is there something I have to do?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

There's too much music files to back-up externally, so that was out.

chickelit said...

iTunes should recognize your saved files.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

It should!

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I scheduled a call to apple tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.

Methadras said...

I'll always be a massive fan of Hendrix, but I will never forgive him for OD'ing and killing his music short.

chickelit said...

Methadras said...I'll always be a massive fan of Hendrix, but I will never forgive him for OD'ing and killing his music short.

If it makes you feel better, Hendrix himself knew that. According to the film, he told a friend before going back to England in the summer of 1970 that he knew he would die before he was 30. He said his only regret was all the music that he wouldn't be able to do. Of course he never came back from that last trip to England.