Monday, May 11, 2015

Life's a drag


This goes with post two below but I'm slow on the uptake and output. She's so privileged. Honestly. Compared with everyone else in the world. And yet always victim at heart, at her core she is victim, and not just feigning sympathy. She needs to be. We've seen this before. It's not that she would have us believe, it's that she really does need to be victim. But what do I look like a psychologist over here? I know what I've seen and what I've heard for six years.

But she is not talking to me anyway and she never was. Here is this uncomfortable feeling again cast over me as a pall that I've become so familiar, of myself overhearing something I shouldn't, or eavesdropping (eyesdropping, actually) on signed conversation that reveals girlish nonsense hardly worth bothering like the two smart pre-teen girls at Glenwood Springs who caught my attention by their signing whose entire conversation was through their fascinating little hands. 

"Then she has her hair all tied in a knot." 
"With frizz and bits of hair hanging out."
"And she just barges in and takes over everything."
"And she's always bossing everybody around."
"I hate her so much. Are you guys going biking? I'm not."
"I'm staying here."
"Me, yes, too let's stay put."

And I question, why am I looking at this, why am I studying it, why am I paying attention to a private conversation between girls? I feel icky pervish for watching even though it's a huge crowd, it's a very large outdoor pool. She is somebody else's first lady. And yes, it has everything to do with race and with racism. She's studied it. Written academic papers on it. I haven't. It's not my thing and it never will be. Better to not listen to this. Do you see what I mean about not listening in? 

11 comments:

edutcher said...

She's wanted it this way for 8 years.

She wanted a reason to hate everybody else and gave herself one by making herself so unappealing to the rest of the country.

No wonder her natural expression is a scowl.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

A long time ago I was at the library, and I should have been preparing for class, but instead I started reading a self-help book by a guy named Joe Girard. Hey! How about that!!!

Anyway, IIRC correctly, he said there are three kinds of people: (1) the Number Ones, they're upbeat, positive, help other people and work toward their goals; (2) the Number Twos, they're negative, envious and more interested in sniping at the Number Ones and bringing the Number Ones down to their level than in working hard to achieve their own goals; and (3) the Number Threes, they've given up, they don't try, they're just marking time.

His advice, obviously, was to associate yourself with the Number Ones, teach yourself how to think like a Number One, and to become a Number One. He said beware of the Number Twos. They have their uses but they're dangerous because they want to make you into a Number Two and you want to be a Number One. He said to avoid the Number Threes because they will ultimately make you into a Number Three, whether they want to or not.

Simplistic? Sure. But I remember it after maybe 30 years and it's better advice than I ever got from any of my relatives, teachers or friends.

Oh, I almost forgot. Michele Obama is a phenomenally lucky Number Two.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Hmmmmm. Published in 1988 so make that about 25 years ago.

Time flies.

Like an arrow.

Aridog said...

OMG...did someone again hand Michelle O their coat on the way past a coat check room? Worse, did someone step away from her on an elevator? OMG! OMG!

Of course none of those things ever happened in her life, but she has a great imagination. And she reads a lot...just the wrong books.

ampersand said...

Would be a opportune time to revive "Queen for a Day" I bet FLOTUS could win herself a washing machine. They come in black now.

ricpic said...

With or without her head on it that's a nice dress.

And, more to the point, an appropriate dress.

Which, considering her fashion history, is a shocker.

Chip Ahoy said...

Good observation, ricpic, and good hair too I noticed when I was selecting around it, dot dot dot dot dot dot dot, one tires of the subject real fast.

And I thought while I was doing all that dot dot doting that kind of upkeep costs a LOT of money. Hair like that is not cheap. Maybe that's part of her complaint that her troublesome hair isn't soft straight and manageable like so many other privileged women have. Apparently she was speaking at a college graduation ceremony and spent the entire time describing how hard it is being the first black FLOTUS, her sleepless nights and the rest. But she does look smashing in the photo. This dominated my Twitter timeline and still does.

Amartel said...

She's written academic papers about it? You mean her senior thesis at Princeton? About herself and how it's so hard being her? Okay. Fine. It's a paper, written at an academic institution. Academic paper. Has there been any acadmic papering since?

Amartel said...

I'm not a robot and some of that food in the Captcha looks just delicious.

William said...

I had a friend who was a dark skinned Hispanic woman. She was the nursing supervisor of the ICU unit at a local hospital. She made decent money and lived in an expensive rental. She wore a white uniform to work. On the elevator, the residents used to ask her if she was available for cleaning work. Things like that are annoying, but life had thrown much worse at her and she shook it off with good humor......The ball bounced Michelle's way on a lot of occasions, and she has more blessings to count than most people. She's hitting all the wrong notes. The Gwyneth Paltrow of First Ladies.