Friday, January 30, 2015

KLEM FM


The video is both grainy and blurry, but I'd never seen it before. I like it because The Who are clearly spoofing the whole lip synching trend then so prevalent. Well, at least Moon is.

"I Can't Explain" was The Who's first hit song written by Pete Townshend, and appeared 50 years ago this month. The song was inspired by The Kinks' "You Really Got Me."  Said Townshend (later):
I was driving...I heard "I Can't Explain" on the radio. I thought wow! I've got a commission...I've got a patron...this is ART!

4 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Great drummer.

chickelit said...

I stole that quote from Pete Townshend; it's from the film "The Amazing Journey: The Story Of The Who." Somebody else in that film said "nobody watched drummers; Keith Moon was the first drummer that people watched." Maybe the last, too?

Chip Ahoy said...

The drummer behind his drum looks like a Dalek playing himself. Most unseemly.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

One of the things that keeps me paying attention to "art" like TV, books and movies, even as I approach my dotage, is every now and then I'll get hit with a perfectly encapsulated way of understanding and expressing a thought or feeling that's been locked up inside me.

It's like an epiphany.

There's probably a word, or a term, or an expression to describe (with both accuracy and concision) what I'm talking about.

I can't explain.