Thursday, September 5, 2019

Long beans

They're a Chinese thing. I think. They're probably not the best-tasting bean. We'll see. The novelty is their length and obviously that means a long life.

I showed these a few days ago and there was nothing to them. They are just now starting to flower, and I doubted there would be enough time for them to grow to full length. I gave them a few poles but they're actually growing all over the place where they were not intended. The seeds were put along one edge of all the pots to various degrees of success.

That means that they're growing noticeably by inches every day. I bet we could sit out there and stare at them and observe them grow. This gives me the idea of setting up a tripod next year and doing just that. Set it up for a photo every ten minutes or so then run it as video. That would make watering out there a B-I-T-C-double connected bean poles.

This year's balcony garden is crazy. But I like it. It's very wabi-sabi. Takashi Amano would like it. Did I mention we were born on the exact same day? I outlived him. Obviously. I wonder what went wrong. No exaggeration, he was a towering inspiration across the whole globe. His death made everyone sad. If you don't believe me, just type his name in YouTube search. They're all maudlin fer'ner accents.














The zucchini grew out of its pot to get to maximum light. There are four of these plants in different pots and they each did this same thing. The plants refused to stay in their lane. And I didn't force them to do anything. 

Except for the ones that I clamped onto sticks. Even then they went all over the place back and forth between sticks and beyond them forward and backward.






This is the most outrageous pepper plant, an upright type. Mixed in among it is another pendant type.





An incipient eggplant fruit. And this is why they're called eggplants, because they are white and shaped like an egg. 


Everything shifted to the left. Only a few things clamped to uprights stayed put. 




A Japanese upright and a Japanese pendent in the same pot.

There is a red one these long ones hanging behind the pot and below it. I wonder if they're infringing on my neighbor below me.

I'll have to go out there and take a few pictures.


Outrageous beans that are growing an inch each day. I'm not exaggerating beyond the customary 12%. They're blowing my mind. These grew from the floor, up the railing, up the sticks and beyond them by double the length back and forth outwardly in inward. Now they are growing their pods that can extend downward to two feet in length. 

You can open them up and eat the beans, or you can cut their pods into regular size to fit on a plate. But then you'd be doing the exact same thing as cutting your life short, except different, the exact same as cutting spaghetti, except totally different. So, a lot of similarities going on here. And differences. 

It very philosophical.

And stupid. 

No comments: