Thursday, April 2, 2015

Memory Pizza

If you, Memory Pizza, decide to re-open rather than just take the gofundme money and enjoy a nice retirement or at least a nice relaxed time for awhile, then I bet $100.00 I can improve your pizza in two easy steps and three more less easy steps improvement beyond that. You can just go ahead and use these ideas and I'll trust your Christian ethics about them improving your pizza immediately. I know they will.

1) Dough aging. Whatever it is you are doing aging your dough at least overnight will improve it noticeably, and in a contest with all other things equal, your aged dough will win. It makes regular dough into country dough. It adds character. It begins fermentation as there is enough time to incorporate cell generations and cell death. The yeast cells begin to consume the dough, but slowly. They actually begin to mess their own quarters and that translates to flavorful bread with character. Two or three days fermentation and the effect is more pronounced and the dough takes on characteristics of sourdough. That improves the flavor greatly but also alters the texture negatively. The more like sourdough then the more like cardboard when baked into pizza because more is consumed by the organisms. In that case then, mix fermented old and worn out dough with brand new fresh dough for spectacular pizza dough with the best properties of both.

2) Dough composition. 20% semolina flour with 80% high protein (bread) flour. Bread flour becomes stringy with just a few turns. It's the sturdy stuff that bagels are made of. Semolina is larger granules without the husks almost like cornmeal except wheat. The wheat is cracked open and smashed to tiny diameter but not pulverized to dust as flour. It's yellow.

Those two things right there will win the bet.

3) Oven and baking surface, preferably stone, should be hot as can be. Wood fire oven best of all but usually not practical. Hot as your oven will go. Experiments were conducted by a team of cooking geeks for the book Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, Good Food where the lock was disabled on a self-cleaning oven to get the temperature high as possible. They also found that an upside down cast iron pan works very well for pizza baking surface but limits the size to individual pizzas.

You don't need an official pizza-peel to slide the prepared pizza onto the dangerously hot stone, a cookie sheet works as well as a peel. You can get the pizza to slide with cornmeal ball bearings or semolina flour ball bearings, or else parchment paper, just let the paper toast between stone and pizza then use the paper to help retrieve the cooked pizza.

4) For really top end pizza, buffalo mozzarella and maybe this isn't a great idea for a small town shop due to expense, on the other hand, why shortchange yourself? So, certainly for your own personal pizza, try it at least once. This is the mozzarella that pizza is made for. It kicks up the effort to a whole new level.

5) Fresh herbs. The whole idea is brilliantly toasted bread with olive oil and fresh herbs. Everything else is extra, like sauce and protein and cheese, that brings pizza from focaccia closer to toasted sandwiches like croque Monsieur or tortilla piled with these similar elements and either roasted or toasted. Fresh herbs are important for their breathy element.

Notice I didn't mention real garlic nor authentic tomato sauce. They're important but they don't affect every pizza and they don't guarantee you win. Some pizza won't have them. But all pizza will be improved with my suggestions. So just go ahead and give me $100.00 because I already know all this wins.

9 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

There's been a lot of commotion downstairs as a brewery takes up where others have failed at street level on Broadway five levels below me. The racket has been consistent.

I met the owners. When I hose my terrace it drains to their blister window. It's very nice seating inside. What a shock that will be when filthy water comes pounding on top of it. I told them I'll be sure to follow with clear water. But that's the best I can do.

He told me they will sell kits in there on starting your own home operation and that is something I have an interest in. I always wanted to try my hand. I only need an excuse.

"With carboys and everything?"

"Yes. The whole thing."

"Will you sell malt?"

"Yup. All that stuff."

So that opens in one month.

I go into the bottleshop to get a 12 pack of Cokes and Lurch says "Don't go to Arby's for dinner because they're closed." And that is so odd because nobody thinks of that and I was just there yesterday, and the two days before that when I was totally Jones'n for plain green salad, and I never go in there, before that was years. It's a drag. Their fries are curly and crapy and they're just a bad deal compared to things all around but yesterday I went in again, nobody there, but suddenly a tiny man behind me ordered a dinner salad. I turned to face him and I said, "That is the the best deal on their menu."

"Well. I try to be thrifty."

How odd! His dinner is $1.75. "It's surprisingly good. The cheese totally makes it. I just had one of those. A very wise purchase."

"Closed! I was just there yesterday. Maybe it's an April Fool's joke."

Lurch thought that was funny as hell because the place is buttoned up tight boarded up with closed signs all over.

"Have you tried the Mongolian bbq place?"

"No. Haven't tried that yet."

"I got a ticket 2 bowls for 1. The last bowl was two meals, so that's 4 meals right there."

"Harrumph."

So I went there and got them, used my ticket, and they are good, yes, but not worth the exorbitant cost. This is half off, but still. It is a rice or noodle bowl with beef or chicken or pork, tofu whatever and vegetables, with a any kind of sauce heated on a grill served with a disc of flat bread for $12.00.

In a plastic bowl with lid.

So now I have 2 of the exact same thing. 4 meals worth. I return to the bottleshop and offer one to Lurch expecting him to refuse, but he accepts. I drop it like meals on wheels and leave.

It's not very good. I'd rather have a French dip. Or else a Philly sandwich. Or else a slice of fried chicken breast with roasted poblano like a blanket and crema poured over with a spoonful of red pepper sauce. But it's an experiment, okay? And I had the tickets. This was the second ticket of theirs that I used. What the heck, it fed Lurch. And he never accepted anything before.

So then Lurch says, "I'm going to take brewing classes when they open next door." And I'm all, "Me too! Sign me up." I never thought of classes. I always imagined just winging it, but what the heck.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Our community pool is closed. When I first found out it was closed Monday didn't walk in to the office to inquire how long it would be closed.

So I went back yesterday, left the kids in the house this time, I went to check if it was open and it was not.

But this time I went in to ask.

Turns out there is a leak and it may take a week to fix.

The kids were not trilled. A week might as well be for ever.

Tank said...

Oven and baking surface, preferably stone, should be hot as can be.

Chip

I find that if I crank the heat up above about 400, the cheese on my pizza burns before the crust is done, even after pre-baking the crust on the stone alone for 5 to 7 minutes.

Thoughts?

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Great advice. I am going to try the old and new dough suggestion!

Chip Ahoy said...

Put the cheese under the sauce to protect it. So the layers go: bread, bread protection cheese, cheese protection sauce.

Plus, experiment with layering cheese hard vs soft, next to bread vs next to heat.

Plus, a girlfriend's Belgian mother got me accustomed to the flavor of burnt cheese. Now I look for it. If part is not a little bit burnt, on the crust or somewhere, then it's not quite done.

I hate pepperoni slices that are snipped by their radius so that oil drains instead of forming into little oil-filled pepperoni cups. Pepperoni should be cooked first to drain some of its oil.

I like roasted onion and pineapple and ham and crazy shit that other people don't like. To me it's a flat sandwich with no real specific topping nor manner with handling sauces. The whole thing can cook and dry out on the hot dry clay surface very quickly. Five minutes sounds about right. The hotter, the faster the better. Pizza guys brag 700° and I think, so, the Big Green Egg can get that high and it's fire roasted besides. The idea is to suck out the moisture torturously fast and crisp the bread to a cracker. The ingredients on top go on by their tolerance, for example fresh herbs are added after its out of the oven, and I prefer raw tomato over any form of cooked tomato even sauce.

Regular thin crackers take 10 minutes at medium high heat, say 375°, and they will bake faster on the top rack than in the oven's middle.

ricpic said...

All those thousands of outraged tweets, including death threat treats? If you listened to Rush today he revealed that a few, a very few so called gay activists can now manufacture thousands of seemingly genuine tweets coming from all over the country, when in fact the tweeters number eight or ten individuals. They did it to him and they did it to this innocent little pizza lady for the sole purpose of OBLITERATING FREE SPEECH.

ricpic said...

death threat tweets

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

its amazing. people have donated over 200 grand so far. I checked pages and pages and it's mostly small donations of 10 15 and 20 dollars. people have a hart of gold.

Amartel said...

Boil that dust speck.