Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Leg Of Lamb

Gigot d'agneau rôti à la Palladian

'Tis wond'rous strange, that I should be compelled to cook a leg of lamb, at this moment in my life. I lost a lot, a lot has gone wrong for me, with me, and through it all I have done my best to survive. In need of somewhere to sleep during the summer of 2013, I decided that it was only fair that I offer something, or some service, to sheltering friends in return for their kindness (and tolerance). So I decided to cook for my keep.

For these sheltering friends I have cooked meals great and small, familiar and revelatory. Often my cooking depends upon what I can find on offer at the supermarkets in small towns. Recently I decided to cook a special dinner, a feast of gratitude for my hosts, so I went to the local supermarket and searched for inspiration in the meat section. There were a lot of beasts and cuts of beasts available, but none seemed special enough to express my appreciation for my friends' hospitality. There were chickens, a bit too ordinary. Some frozen quail, but not enough. There were some thin, greying steaks with ridiculous prices, and some forlorn frozen turkeys with torn wrappings.

And then I saw, next to the overpriced organic beef and "Hundred Calorie" steaks (which looked to be rounds of beaten beef about the size of a large slice of pepperoni and half as appetizing), a leg of lamb. Lamb, in the small town where I was staying, is an unusual meat so stores usually carry little of it. I suspect that much of it reaches its "Sell By" date unsold. This was such a piece of lamb, its price reduced: 50% off. A very good buy, and not a bad leg at all, shrink-wrapped as it was, and from Australia. So I bought it. My feast of gratitude would feature lamb. A late-summer, shrink-wrapped, special-offer leg of lamb, from the other side of the earth to this rural American supermarket.



Food is sustenance but also a multiplicity, like a spectrum of colors split from the simple white light of hunger and necessity. Food, like pain, and sex, and God, and death, has been central to humans since we appeared on this Earth. Food compels us and transports us, either through the physical energy that it transfers to our bodies, or through our associations with it; satiation, community, family, pleasure, competition. Memory.

As I made my way back to my temporary home, I thought about things, made associations. The lamb of spring, the lamb of innocence and rebirth. The lamb of ancient sacrifices. The Paschal Lamb, and the Agnus Dei, the Lamb of God. Sacrifice. Redemption.

"The Lamb", William Blake, 1794.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Yale University
I thought of the lamb of Blake:

Little Lamb who made thee 
Dost thou know who made thee
Gave thee life & bid thee feed.
By the stream & o'er the mead


... which reminded me of how important Blake was to me, and of some of the happiest times of my life: my graduate school days, in the reading room of the Beinecke Library looking at all the original William Blake material, such as their copy of Songs Of Innocence And Of Experience Shewing The Two Contrary States Of The Human Soul, which Blake not only wrote, but lettered, illustrated, etched, printed and hand-colored. I thought of the evenings then, after a day holding these precious books in my hands, turning the pages that Blake himself printed and painted and turned. I would walk back home from the library, past Grove Street Cemetery, to meet friends and go to Mamoun's and eat lamb shawarma.

And I thought of some of the undergraduates who I knew then, and of traditions that I did not understand. I thought of beautiful young men and secret societies, which seemed to be satires of the meaninglessness of privilege and human society and ritual, but weren't. I thought of the boys I knew who belonged to singing clubs like The Society of Orpheus and Bacchus and The Whiffenpoofs. I recalled "The Whiffenpoof Song", which took some of its lyrics from a poem by Rudyard Kipling, called "Gentlemen-Rankers":

Yalies, 1999.
We're poor little lambs who've lost our way,
    Baa! Baa! Baa!
We're little black sheep who've gone astray,
    Baa—aa—aa!
Gentlemen-rankers out on the spree,
Damned from here to Eternity,
God ha' mercy on such as we,
    Baa! Yah! Bah!

All those times, all those people, everything I was, lost 15 years in the past.

And so my mind returned to the present, to the shrink-wrapped leg of lamb from Australia beside me. Australia, australis, Terra Australis Incognita, the unknown land of the south. It seemed meaningful, somehow, as I returned to my host's home and prepared to cook this piece of a tiny beast from unknown southern lands, faraway. A lion-like lamb, slain but standing. Miserere nobis.

Detail of a map published in P. Bertii tabularum geographicarum contractarum.
Amsterdam, 1616. Princeton University Library, Historic Maps Collection

I do have a recipe to convey. A good leg of lamb is one of those raw materials in cooking that a good cook doesn't really need to transform. The cook merely guides it through the ordeal of cooking, shepherds it through its trial by fire, to its ultimate and expected reward. Here's the map I made, and use, for this journey from shrink-wrapped, sale-priced, supermarket leg of lamb, to gustatory divinity:


Roast Leg of Lamb 
(Gigot d'agneau rôti à la Palladian)



Preparing & Marinating The Leg

You will need:
  • 1 leg of lamb, with bones, about 5-6 pounds
  • 3 or more cloves of garlic
  • about 1/3 cup Dijon-type mustard
Marinade Ingredients:
  • the juice of 1 lemon (save the juiced lemon halves)
  • about 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • about 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • about 2 cups dry white French vermouth
  • about 10 juniper berries, crushed
  • a few sprigs of fresh aromatic herbs, such as rosemary or thyme, or about 1 tablespoon dried rosemary or thyme
  • 2 or 3 "Turkish" bay leaves
  • salt & freshly-ground black pepper
First, dry your leg of lamb with paper towels. Then, using a sharp slicing knife, remove as much surface fat and "silver skin" as you can from the leg of lamb, paying attention to both sides of the leg. Unlike most animal fats, lamb fat isn't really good for anything, so discard it.


Peel the cloves of garlic and, using a small, sharp knife, cut each clove into little "matchsticks". Using the same knife, make small cuts at intervals all over the leg, then insert a piece of the cut garlic into each hole. Be certain to push each piece of garlic firmly into the cuts you've made.


Once this is done, rub the leg all over with the Dijon-type mustard and then place it in a shallow container large enough to contain the whole leg.

Mix all the other marinade ingredients together and pour over the leg. Cover the leg in its container and refrigerate for at least one hour, up to 12 hours. If you can, flip the leg several times during the marination. Be sure to save the marinade for later use.

An intensely interested bystander
Cooking The Leg

You will need:
  • the marinated leg of lamb
  • a roasting pan at least as long as the meat
  • a roasting rack of some sort, to hold the leg above the roasting pan
  • a small dish of olive oil
  • a basting brush
  • a small sieve
  • a glass measuring cup
  • an instant-read meat thermometer (not the "leave-in" kind)
Pan Flavorings:
  • 1 carrot, washed and roughly chopped
  • 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
  • the marinade, including all the bits, pieces and chunks, such as the juiced lemon halves
First, set the sieve in the glass measuring cup, then pour the marinade into the sieve, separating the liquid from the solids. Dump the solids from the sieve into a dish and keep the liquid in the glass measure. You should have about 2.5 cups of liquid. If you're short, add some stock to top it up.

When I prepared the leg of lamb in the photographs, I was staying at a house that had a charcoal grill, so the cooking of the leg was done outdoors. You can just as successfully make this recipe in a gas grill, or an indoor oven.

Heating a charcoal grill
If you're using a charcoal grill, dispense a generous portion of charcoal into the grill and divide it into two piles, one on either width-wise side of the grill. The center of the grill should remain empty. The key to success in grilling is indirect heat. Try to use the best charcoal you can get, such as that "cowboy" wood charcoal, or Stubb's. You'll want charcoal that burns slow and retains heat and that doesn't smell like a naptha-cracking plant. Start the charcoal in the usual manner and allow it to burn for 10-15 minutes, until it is glowing red and starting to turn white at the edges.

If you're using a gas grill, get it nice and hot, about 400º F.

If you're using an indoor oven, preheat it to 450º F, with the oven rack at the lower middle level.

Whichever roasting appliance you're using, place the rack in, or on top of, the roasting pan. In my case, I used a baker's cooling rack and sat it over the top of the roasting pan.

If grilling outdoors, you may wish to place the leg right on top of the grill rack, for about 5 minutes per side to get the browning started, but this is optional.


Place the leg on the roasting rack and place the whole contraption into your grill or oven.

If you're using an outdoor grill, close the lid and let the leg begin to roast. Check the leg periodically, and flip it over every 15-20 minutes. You may wish to brush it lightly with the olive oil each time you flip it over. After 20 minutes, place the solids from the marinade into the roasting pan, along with the carrot and onion. Assuming that your grill is around 400º F, the leg should roast until the meat thermometer, stuck into the thickest part of the leg, reads 125º F (about 60-70 minutes).

If you're cooking the leg in the oven, roast it at 450º F for 15 minutes, then brush the leg with the olive oil. Place the pan flavorings (the solids from the marinade, the carrot and onion) into the roasting pan, turn the oven temperature down to 350º and roast for about 75 minutes, again until your meat thermometer reads 125º F.

The goal is to roast the leg until the outside of the meat is beautifully browned and lightly crusted and the meat nearest the bone is rare. If, for some reason, you hate rare, pink meat, cook something other than leg of lamb.


When the meat is done, place it on a serving platter. The leg must rest for about 15-20 minutes before you carve it. You can let it rest covered with foil, or hold it in an oven set at 120º F for up to 2 hours.

While the meat is resting, deglaze the roasting pan with the reserved marinade juices (set the pan over heat, pour in the liquid and, using a wooden or coated spatula, scrape all the good bits off the bottom of the pan). Dump the contents of the roasting pan through your sieve into a small saucepan and simmer while the leg rests for 20 minutes.

Serving The Leg:

Put parsley, lettuce leaves and a couple of halved tomatoes onto the platter surrounding the leg. Pour your jus from the saucepan into a warm serving bowl. Each diner can spoon a bit of it onto their share of the meat.

Potatoes, French bread and fresh vegetables are good companions for the leg, but my favorite accompaniment is haricots panachés, which is fresh green beans (preferably the thin haricot verts) cooked al dente and then tossed in butter, served beside cooked white beans (such as Cannellini or Great Northern beans) tossed in butter and fresh chopped parsley. A good red wine is also a necessity, such as a Pinot Noir from California or France, or indeed Australia.

The leg of lamb, served with haricots panachés

I prefer to use a long, serrated knife, the kind of knife used to slice big hams, or bread (provided the serrations are small and closely spaced), to carve leg of lamb. I just hold the exposed bone in one hand and make thin slices, parallel to the bone, along the length of the leg.

Serve this to, and eat this with, people who you love, and who love you in return. Your true friends, the ones who would sacrifice themselves for you; your loved ones, who would not abandon you as you walk through the darkest places in this life. Give thanks as you eat this beautiful, rare meat in this beautiful, rare world.

God ha' mercy on such as we,
Baa! Yah! Bah!


68 comments:

bagoh20 said...

It looks wonderful. I've never had leg of lamb for some reason. I have no explanation. I love meat, but I just never chose it from the menu, or brought any home. I think I will try it the very next time I'm out and it's on the menu. When I do, I'll think of you, Palladian and your big juicy leg.

Freeman Hunt said...

Lamb is my favorite. Delicious.

virgil xenophon said...

Palladian/

Most deliciously excellent post! BTW, have you ever had "lamburgers?" I find ground lamb far preferable/superior to ground beef for either "hamburgers" in bun or grilled stand-alone "steakburgers." Most major grocery chains carry it in Calif as a standard offering, but I've found it almost non-existent from Louisville to New Orleans, Denver to St. Louis, i.e., most of the mid-west and the south. What's its ready availability in the northeast?

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

This blog goes to eleven.

Trooper York said...

I have to try this. I usually do it very simply with lemon and garlic but this looks really good.

chickelit said...

We stopped cooking lamb at home because we believed our son had an allergy to it. This was based on his breaking out in a rash at around age 2 or 3 after eating some (he had no other such allergic type reactions). I used to grab a gyro every once and a while when I had the craving.

Recently, we were at a wedding reception and lamb was served. I suggested that he try some to see if he had outgrown his "allergy." No reaction! Hooray!

Palladian: if you wouldn't mind, could you put a "recipes" tag on this wonderful post?

Trooper York said...

I particular like the side dish. I often puree the cannellini beans to make a ersatz mashed potato. No carbs but with a little butter and milk delicious.

Ok who am I kidding.

A lot of butter.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Wow.

Delicious.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Palladian, that looks wonderful. Great job. I can almost smell it.

Chip Ahoy said...

Thank you for avoiding mint jelly.

[I searched 'mint' to make sure you did]

Chip Ahoy said...

I meant to say, congratulations on the great find. See sale, buy, no argument, plans suddenly become clear.

JAL said...

Thanks, Palladian.

(That's Maggie, right? Cute as ever.)

JAL said...

Mint jelly! I grew up with mint jelly served with lame.

Imagine that ... normal families had lamb for Sunday dinner back in the day.

JAL said...

Well that's lame. I meant lamb.

Valentine Smith said...

I think you may have the beginnings of a very interesting cookbook here.

chickelit said...

Chip Ahoy said...
Thank you for avoiding mint jelly.

1st Class passengers aboard the Titanic enjoyed lamb with mint sauce the night she went down. Look how they turned out.

Anonymous said...

Palladian: Good to see you! My chops aren't up to yours lambwise, but we share a love for Blake.

As I was walking among the fires of hell, delighted with the enjoyments of Genius; which to Angels look like torment and insanity. I collected some of their Proverbs...

I had read "Tiger, Tiger" in high school, but it was the "Marriage of Heaven and Hell," especially the "Proverbs of Hell," that convinced me that I had to get to know Blake. I leave one such proverb for you.

The eagle never lost so much time, as when he submitted to learn of the crow.

yashu said...

And another:

Joys impregnate, sorrows bring forth.

Gigot d'agneau rôti à la Palladian: je salive.

Wonderful to see/ read you again, Palladian.

Baa! Yah! Bah! indeed!

somewhy said...

Lovely post Palladian. I don't agree with cooking the lamb above its resulting juices, but then I don't agree with most of the 'healthy rules' - and I'm also wondering if that picture is showing any bone - because if so it looks like a rib (as in, say, lamb rack) rather than a leg bone?

But I do support your comment about rare as opposed to overdone-anything - which leads me to say I'm very pleased to see you venturing back into the vortex.

Darcy said...

Bravo and cheers, Palladian.

edutcher said...

Welcome back, sir.

Joe Schmoe said...

When can you come stay at our house.

Sydney said...

I only ake leg of lamb at Easter, but my recipe is similar to yours. It is the only dish I have ever made that makes me feel like I am preparing a body for burial. I don't mean that in a ghoulish, horrible way; but in a respectful, holy way. I think it's the rubbing on of the oil and herbs. Like anointing.

Michael Haz said...

Printed and saved. Thank you, Palladian.

Aridog said...

Palladian said ...

If, for some reason, you hate rare, pink meat, cook something other than leg of lamb.

Yee Gawd yes, something like asparagus maybe. [Gag] No, seriously, I never knew lamb, especially leg of lamb, could taste good. I didn't learn what "good" lamb was until I started eating in Arab and Greek restaurants.

I grew up in an Irish sort of family that applied Irish and English cooking principles...e.g., all meat was cooked to deathly gray dryness, and lamb was the worst...and the reason I figured they used mint jelly [gag again] with it. Mint? really? Only makes sense on ruined tasteless tough as boot soles lamb I guess.

To be frank, your recipe appears to be better than any used by my neighbors, Arabs that they are [Lebanese are the better among the cooks] and their stuff smells and tastes delicious. Yours sounds better and I will try it myself.

I'll wait until next week, however, since Eid al Fitr starts tonight in my neighborhood and I'm not about to join the crowd of abaya clad grumpy old ladies in the stores today. Almost as bad as grumpy Italian old ladies on Saturday morning at the Italian market, who insist you buy their choice of this or that, and will announce you're an idiot to the whole store if you don't.

Thanks for recipe and guidance.

Unknown said...

Sound heavenly- I can almost smell the aromas.

Where do you source juniper berries though? I don't recall ever seeing them on the grocery store shelves.

I love that technique of nestling the garlic in the meat. A cajun guy I dated in college showed me how they do the same with a combination of minced jalepenos and garlic in a pork roast. Yum!

Unknown said...

I'll bet some fresh mint in the cannellini beans would be good.

AllenS said...

I'm eating breakfast, and it would have been nice to have a small plate of lamb on the side. Yum.

ndspinelli said...

Palladian, Cooking food is therapeutic for me. When I would work 70-80 hour weeks I would still cook. My bride would always say, "I'll do it," but she didn't understand. Cooking was relaxing and would replenish my energy. I can see it is the same for you, good man.

No one in my family will eat lamb. It is s sadness I must carry. Lamb is one of my favorites and so I only eat it in restaurants. However, it's tough to get lamb prepared like this presentation. Palladian, welcome back and "ooopah!"

Oh, mint jelly is an affront to all that is good.

ndspinelli said...

Trooper, I process cannellini beans for soups, the best being pasta fagioli. Just before serving, a ladle of the blended beans goes right on top. It really needs no butter, but adds a creamy texture to the soup, virtually any soup. Texture is important. I have found over my 60 years it's a bit more important to women than men. The creaminess says satisfying, but not the fat of a creamy sauce or dessert.

deborah said...

Palladian!

Thanks for a beautiful post :)

Unknown said...

I would love to know what else you put in your pasta fagioli, ndspinelli. I've been meaning to search out a good recipe.

William said...

Drive your fork over the bones of the dead. That's definitely culinary art. Who did the dishes afterward?

Simon Kenton said...

I have cooked some legs of lamb thickly coated with Fine de Dijon; and some marinated with lemon, but never (until this next weekend, under your tutillage) tried the combination.

I note your map of Australia calls out the regio psittacorum. Parrots mattered in commerce, and it seems the desire for the iridescent feathers was a universality: in the dusty stonework of Anasazi ruins they have found parrot and mot-mot feathers traded up to Utah from southern Mexico. (Some consider the beasts of burden for pre-historic trade in the Southwest to have been slaves, who were eaten along the way, as Amundsen did his dogs; the recipes if any are lost.)

Simon Kenton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aridog said...

ndspinelli said...

... It really needs no butter,...

Blasphemer!

ndspinelli said...

C Stanley, Pasta fagioli is peasant food. So, you can play w/ it as you like, just don't complicate it. This is how my grandparents, parents and I made/make it. And, before I forget, when I say Pollack it is endearing. I grew up in a Polish section and all my friends names ended w/ "ski." I felt like home when I moved to Chicago and got to eat some great Polski food.

Start w/ ~5Tbs of olive oil. Heat it and then add some salt pork or pancetta. Nut much, maybe 1/5lb., it's just for flavor. Add some garlic when you flip the meat and sauté until just lightly brown. Many folks will add a little chopped onion, celery and carrot @ this point. I don't. Hand crush a can of good Italian tomatoes. Then add a quart or less of chicken stock. If you use dried spices, add some now, ~1tbs. of basil, rosemary and thyme. I also use the same amount or more of red pepper flakes. If fresh spices/herbs, wait till the end. Reduce this on medium heat for ~1hr. Then hit it w/ the fresh herbs now if pertinent. Add a can of cannellini beans, garbanzo, and red kidney beans[all drained], put it on lowest heat.

Take a can of cannellini beans w/ juice and process till creamy. Put it in a micro dish, you'll just warm it up when serving.

Cook ~1/2lb. of Ditali pasta. undercook it a bit. Drain pasta but keep ~2cups of pasta water. Put pasta and water back in pan and then add ~4 ladles of broth. Simmer a minute till al dente. A ladle of pasta, some soup, topped w/ a spoonful of processed cannellini. Just a drizzle of olive oil and some parmesan cheese. Serve w/ a good, crusty peasant bread.

Unknown said...

Sounds great, nd. And no worries- Pollack does not offend me at all. I actually love Pollack jokes, too. Went through four years of high school with a guy who liked to tell them to me. I would counter by asking him what his class ranking was (it was a very competitive college prep magnet school.) It was all in good fun though, and I finished sixth in class while he was 10th, heh.

Methadras said...

I can't stand lamb. It's a flavor I never acquired.

Ah Pooh said...

Any lamb would love this -

Jalapeño Mint Jelly

1 3/4 cups mint, finely chopped, divided
1 1/2 cups water
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
1 (3 ounce) envelope liquid fruit pectin

Palladian said...

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.

Palladian said...

virgil xenophon said... "BTW, have you ever had "lamburgers?" I find ground lamb far preferable/superior to ground beef for either "hamburgers" in bun or grilled stand-alone "steakburgers." Most major grocery chains carry it in Calif as a standard offering, but I've found it almost non-existent from Louisville to New Orleans, Denver to St. Louis, i.e., most of the mid-west and the south. What's its ready availability in the northeast?"

Ground lamb is delicious done as a burger, though I usually like to grind my own (God, I miss my meat grinder) because I think an excess of lamb fat makes things taste funky, and stores and butchers often use the off-cut, fatty parts of the meat to make their ground lamb. When I've done ground lamb on my own, I use lean cuts and add (believe it or not) a bit of beef marrow to increase the fat content. I think 85% lean is a good percentage for juicy hamburgers/lamburgers. Whatever sort of meat I'm using for hamburgers, I also usually mix in about one or two tablespoons of heavy cream per pound of meat, which helps keep the burger tender and gives it a little more richness.

Ground lamb is obtainable in certain stores and butchers in NYC, but it's not a given that your average market will have it. In rural Pennsylvania, Virginia and New Hampshire, it's rare to find ground lamb, or sometimes any lamb at all, in a supermarket. Same with ground veal, which I've looked for when trying to make pâté.

Palladian said...

Trooper York said... "I particular like the side dish. I often puree the cannellini beans to make a ersatz mashed potato. No carbs but with a little butter and milk delicious.

Ok who am I kidding.

A lot of butter."


Butter makes life worth living.

Palladian said...

Chip Ahoy said... "Thank you for avoiding mint jelly.

[I searched 'mint' to make sure you did]"


When I was a child, I spent a lot of time at my paternal grandparents' house. I have an enduring memory of a 3/4-full jar of bright green mint jelly that lurked on a shelf in the door of the refrigerator from at least 1979 to 1992, when my grandmother had to buy a new fridge. Horrors.

I did make up an interesting lamb dish that pays homage to the mint jelly tradition. I make a lamb stock with a lot of bones and joints and a veal knuckle, so that the stock jells into aspic when cold. I then strain the stock, salt & pepper it, and simmer it with a handful of fresh mint leaves and a bit of Branca Menta for about 25 minutes until it's a bit reduced. I then strain it again and chill it, just to the point that it's still liquid but about to jell. Coat cold, boneless, medium-rare lamb loin chops in a couple of layers of the aspic and garnish with mint leaves.

Palladian said...

JAL said... "(That's Maggie, right? Cute as ever.)"

That's actually a Boston named Milliebelle.

But I assure you, Maggie is still as cute as ever.

ad hoc said...

Trooper York said...
"I particular like the side dish. I often puree the cannellini beans to make a ersatz mashed potato. No carbs but with a little butter and milk delicious."

To avoid carbs, I have begun substituting cauliflower. I have mashed cauliflower so that it has the consistancy of rice and used it as a great rice substitute. Also pureed as a potato substitute.

Nothing wrong with butter. Also I have begun to cook with bacon drippings. So good.

Trooper York said...

I also use cauliflower as a potato substitute. In fact I use mashed cauliflower and put it in a pan and cover it with cheese and add some freshly made bacon bits and bake in the oven as a sort of pie.

Very tasty.

(but use real bacon not baco's or some crapola like that there)

Trooper York said...

Wait a minute Palladian.

I thought your meat grinders name was Felipe?

(gratuitous gay joke)

Lydia said...

According to Joyce Maynard, who lived with J.D. Salinger one year when she was 18 and he was 53, he ate mostly frozen peas and under-cooked lamb patties.

The thing about lamb for me is how do I know it’s not mutton?

And that makes me think of Lizzie Borden who had mutton soup for breakfast on that hot August morning when she gave her parents all those whacks.

Palladian said...

somewhy said... "Lovely post Palladian. I don't agree with cooking the lamb above its resulting juices, but then I don't agree with most of the 'healthy rules' - and I'm also wondering if that picture is showing any bone - because if so it looks like a rib (as in, say, lamb rack) rather than a leg bone?

I don't cook it above the juices for health reasons, I just don't think it properly cooks, browns, nor has an even texture if it sits directly in the pan. You don't "lose" any juices either, as they're deglazed and form the jus.

somewhy said... "But I do support your comment about rare as opposed to overdone-anything - which leads me to say I'm very pleased to see you venturing back into the vortex."

Thanks! However, I don't intend to get mired in any vortices again. There are sometimes monsters in there.

Palladian said...

sydney said... "I only ake leg of lamb at Easter, but my recipe is similar to yours. It is the only dish I have ever made that makes me feel like I am preparing a body for burial. I don't mean that in a ghoulish, horrible way; but in a respectful, holy way. I think it's the rubbing on of the oil and herbs. Like anointing."

That's beautiful. Christ Himself made the connection between dinner and death.

Palladian said...

Aridog said... "To be frank, your recipe appears to be better than any used by my neighbors, Arabs that they are [Lebanese are the better among the cooks] and their stuff smells and tastes delicious. Yours sounds better and I will try it myself."

Agreed about middle eastern lamb; Turkish-style lamb was actually the first lamb I ever ate, and I've loved lamb ever since. Let me know how my recipe turns out for you when you make it.

Palladian said...

C Stanley said... "Where do you source juniper berries though? I don't recall ever seeing them on the grocery store shelves.

You could ask your store to order them, they're not that unusual, or you can buy them easily through Amazon.com.

C Stanley said... "I love that technique of nestling the garlic in the meat. A cajun guy I dated in college showed me how they do the same with a combination of minced jalepenos and garlic in a pork roast. Yum!"

It's a take-off of the technique of "larding" meat, where you insert lardons throughout the meat to make it more juicy and flavorful when roasting. Try inserting some anchovies into monkfish in the same manner. Delicious!

C Stanley said... "I'll bet some fresh mint in the cannellini beans would be good."

Yummo! Great idea!

Palladian said...

ndspinelli said... "Palladian, Cooking food is therapeutic for me. When I would work 70-80 hour weeks I would still cook. My bride would always say, "I'll do it," but she didn't understand. Cooking was relaxing and would replenish my energy. I can see it is the same for you, good man."

Yes. Cooking helps me a lot. I relax by doing things. I'm constitutionally unable to sit around without being engaged in some activity. Some people cannot understand that at all. Since I don't currently have my studio, being able to cook a lot this summer has been great, as it has allowed me to make things, to use my hands, to follow processes.

Palladian said...

William said... "Drive your fork over the bones of the dead. That's definitely culinary art. Who did the dishes afterward?"

Me! None of the places I've stayed had an electric dishwasher.

Palladian said...

Simon Kenton said... "I note your map of Australia calls out the regio psittacorum."

I had to leave that in when I cropped that map. It's such a wonderful concept: Land of the Parrots!

Palladian said...

Ah Pooh said... "Any lamb would love this -

Jalapeño Mint Jelly"


Sounds great! I love mint in a savory context!

yashu said...

My favorite sauce for lamb (courtesy of my mom): tarragon, lemon juice, butter.

Methadras said...

Palladian, I went back and re-read your entire post because I felt that I short changed it and myself the first time I read it through. Now that I've given it a second reading, the next time my mom makes lamb, I'm gonna shock her and ask her for some. It's a treat in my parents home. The post was beautiful and I didn't convey that when I wrote the first time.

Unknown said...

You could ask your store to order them, they're not that unusual, or you can buy them easily through Amazon.com.

Thanks...I actually thought of that earlier today which then reminded me that it's time to clean out and restock my spices. I found a site, http://www.thespicehouse.com/, and have placed an order (including the juniper berries.)

Palladian said...

Juniper berries are also wonderful with pork dishes, and meat loaf, and sauerkraut, and sausages.

Unknown said...

I am planning to try them with pork and saurkraut actually, since that is often in my fall repertoire.

Phil 314 said...

This post annihilated the "Lem rule"

See Aridog, sometimes More is More

bagoh20 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bagoh20 said...

"None of the places I've stayed had an electric dishwasher."

I just tore mine out and gave it away. Filled the hole with a rolling cupboard with butcher block top made in 1954. I hate dish washing machines. They don't really wash dishes. They may hold them and rinse them , but they don't clean them. They also ruin glassware, and most everything else. Too hot, and not enough elbow grease in there.

Anyway, great post Palladian. I wish I had the patience or whatever it is that's required to cook like that. I would eat most of that before it ever got to the presentation stage.

Aridog said...

What BagoH20 said about dishwashers. I hate them and they just add work steps. KISS is better. I have had them on apartments I've rented years ago, didn't use them except to store stuff like a larder. The house we've lived in for 30 years does not have one and you just don't need one for two people and two dogs. Come on. And they are stupid noisy to boot.

We have a domestic chore treaty in place here, I do dishes and kitchen clean up and Judi does laundry...actually I am forbidden to touch her washing machine and dryer....but I am permitted to help bring in stuff she deigns to hang on the clothes line outside to "freshen up" etc.

Aridog said...

I do have a question for Palladian...you said you carved the leg of lamb parallel to the leg bone...e.g., with the grain of the muscle. Is that as tender as cutting smaller pieces against the grain?

I was thinking I'd de-bone the leg after cooking, then cut slices against the grain, with the bone going to "Dera" if large enough...the internal temps you cite won't make the bone too brittle. "Dera" will consume a lamb femur bone in about an hour and a half, every last bit is crunched & crushed up and gone. "Dera" misses no marrow, ever.

I ask because I like to keep quality cooked meats, always rare, in the fridge for sandwiches and snacks, and de-boned sounds easier to handle.

Simon Kenton said...

Palladian:

Tried it today, and the lamb was excellent, but the jus was truly outstanding. Thank you for this.

On the chance that you are an aficionado of cookbooks, have you looked at Huntley Dent's "The Feast of Santa Fe?" Also, if you ever cook wild game, you'd do well to look at "Wild Game And Fish Cookbook" by Manikowski. As lovely as sound.

There is a polarity in wild game cookbooks: at the one end, the gag end, you can rightly murmur "The Horror, the Horror" and reach for the ipecac when they include mushroom soup in a recipe. Any such book should be dinged a quoit's distance away. At the other pole is Manikowski's book, which actually got two nine-year-old girls from AR-Loon Boulder CO to enjoy some steak tartare, made of chopped Bambi.