Thursday, June 21, 2018

Migration

Apple Migration Assistant from Macbook Air to Macbook Air.

Psych!

Thought this was going to be political.

Here's the thing that made it so otallytay upidstay.

The machines couldn't find each other and they're both right here side-by side. They cannot get any closer. (Man, this keyboard feels freaky new) The little symbols kept spinning around and around. And I tried everything I could think of. I read dozens of pages of suggestions, turning off the firewall, making sure "share" is turned on both, checking the network.

The new computer produced an error message that doesn't make sense. It refers to an unknown machine with an unknown technical name. Finally after starting over six or seven times, I clicked on the unknown machine and another message said of the new computer, "cannot migrate because this one is outdated."

The old machine had been updated to the latest version, High Sierra, while the new one still had the older version, regular Sierra.

Is that weird or what?

That's one of the things they don't mention. They say make sure you have all recent updates, but they don't mention make sure the whole operating system is updated to the latest. It was just such an odd predicament. That took me too long to figure out. Longer than it took for the migration of all other programs and content. Migration over wifi network was impressively fast. Not the five or so hours the videos say.

I had the computer in a box for six months. I have no real use for it. Except the battery wore out of the old one. It still works but it must be plugged in. I ordered a new battery that I'll replace myself. Already watched videos on how to do it. It involves taking out twenty or so tiny screws. The battery is flat, in four cells and it's wide as the whole thing. A flat thin battery. You can buy it at half the price on Alibaba but I don't trust them fer'ners. GET OFF MY LAWN! Their descriptions are too confusing. They load them with conflicting information then in bold letters say "be sure to order the right one." None of the numbers match what my computer says. It's frustrating. None of the model numbers match.

1 comment:

edutcher said...

Never liked Apple.

This is why.