Saturday, May 19, 2018

Trump cuts funding to Planned Parenthood under 1970 law

The Hill explains the history of it.
The so-called Mexico City policy, established by Republican President Ronald Reagan in 1984, blocks federal funding for international family planning charities that provide abortions or actively promote the procedure. 
Referred to by critics as the "global gag rule," the policy has been subjected to a game of political football over the years, with Democratic presidents rescinding the policy upon taking office, as President Obama did in 2009, and Republican presidents reinstating it.
The Hill explains further that Trump took traditional Republican stance on abortion during his campaign vowing to sign any legislation defunding organizations that provide abortions and promising to appoint pro-life Supreme Court justices. Further, Pence is also staunchly anti-abortion who passed several anti-abortion laws during his term as governor of Indiana and he introduced several anti-abortion bills during his term in Congress.

Then, making anti-abortion position sound trite, representative for Texas Michael Burgess, chair man of House health subcommittee said, "Life is precious and a sacred gift, and we must do all we can to protect it."

Oh please. Must he be so prosaic?

During Independence Day celebration I'll walk over to the Civic Center Park for their annual celebration and immerse myself among young families with very young children, so many single mothers managing several little children at once, and they are the most darling little things running all around. Such energy to just blow off. I told you this already but I'll relate it again, three years ago I ended up at the park after a very long walk around the whole broader neighborhood. My legs were already exhausted before I sat down on the grass. And I knew once I'm down then my legs give up entirely, I can feel the energy drain from them as they heal, they're out for the day, there will be no getting back up. But I got down on the grass anyway. The little kids were buzzing all around. I hit it off with a woman sitting on the grass next to me. When I struggled to get up, she tried to help me but there was no way her tiny frame could do anything but interfere, I literally crawled on top of my legs as if they were tree stumps. While doing this I noticed the activity around me stopped. The immediate area went silent.  I did not know the children were all focused and mesmerized watching me as old man appear as a newborn giraffe finding its legs for the first time. When my torso was on top of my legs and I straightened my back to erect posture, the children each on their own applauded together as one audience. They cracked me up. Is that adorable, or what?

And I keep thinking, each of those kids was prime target for this procedure, in my view they barely survived it. They made it through the gauntlet of forces arrayed against them. They lived! They're here on earth. And that really is precious. They are adorable.

They're adorable now because they are tiny. And I wonder how they'll grow up. I wonder about their circumstances. Where are their daddies? I try to imagine their situations, their values that they form as they grow, the effect on their psychologies and their emotions about their socioeconomic and racial situations, as they mature. Will they perceive unfairness due to their birth? Will they feel the world owes them something, at least fairness?

Will they be precious as this? There are hundreds of these videos. It's a thing.



Today Nancy Pelosi said, "Even MS-13 members have the spark of divinity within them." 

That is, murders and rapists are people too. Not animals. Although that says nothing about deporting them when they're here illegally.

She won't find a Christian to disagree with her statement. It's a fairly universal conceptualization. But her statement was purely anti-Trump and not pro-life. She draws the line at little darlings who've survived her own gauntlet. 

3 comments:

edutcher said...

Reagan talked, Trump did.

And Pelosi Galore only sees the divinity in potential Democrat voters.

AllenS said...

Abortion is still legal, so, there shouldn't be a problem. Beer is also still legal, but I don't seem to have a problem buying some if I want to.

Dad Bones said...

spark of divinity

It's the spark that worries me. It reminds me of gassing up years ago before we could pump our own gas. The dangerously dumb guy doing it wanted to talk to me while pumping with a lit cigarette in his mouth. He was somewhat amused that I stood far away him until the cap was back on my tank and the air cleared out the fumes. That's the sort of divinity I would expect to find in MS-13.