Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Peach cupcakes



I made these twice. Apparently. I actually remember only once.

I don't like them, myself, so I took the peach cupcakes downstairs and outside and distributed them among the ladies I know. And they flipped the f out. I'm not hearing the end of it. Three times in the last month Deena has mentioned these cupcakes, most recently yesterday. She was describing me to her sister and said these were the best things I ever made. Ding. That's three times. I'm officially being nagged.

To make them you need a couple little tins like this, a mini-ball pan by Wilton.


Tinned peaches. Bleh. When Colorado has fantastic peaches in season. But what the heck, a girl wants what a girl wants. Blend all that with the syrup and that becomes the liquid portion for regular cake batter. 

Then when they bake they create another dome and that is sliced off flat. So two flat halves fit together for a ball. Icing holds them together.

Then, here's the thing. Icing for the outside is dry white sugar with a drop of food coloring added and shaken all around. One small bowl for  red and another for yellow. The balls are rolled around in the sugar and it sticks to the naked cupcakes in blushed tones. The intensity is determined by you rolling them around. They're already tan from baking in the pan. 

Then think of something for a stem. An actual stem. A piece of cinnamon stick. A stem of mint. In one batch I put an almond in each half. So each half had its own ersatz peach stone. 

*Whispers* They're not very good. I don't know why Deena likes them.

8 comments:

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

sound gross/ look amazing. Like an actual peach.

MamaM said...

In what way are they not very good? Too sweet? Bland? Doughy? Frothy?

Maybe it's the thought of someone doing something special that flavors the experience of receiving and eating one. Visual plays a role as well.

Trooper York said...

They look really good Chip. I agree with MamaM. Why don't you like them?

Chip Ahoy said...

I guess I just don't like cupcakes. They're not particularly peachy. Granular sugar is gross.

Fr Martin Fox said...

That looks like fun. But I can imagine they don't actually taste very peachy, because peach is one of those very subtle flavors. You would probably need a very concentrated way to imbue the flavor, without being overly sweet.

Would it work to make it look like peach, but have it taste strongly of vanilla?

Chip, can I persuade you to post the recipe?

Amartel said...

The problem may be that they look too good and then you bit into them thinking, hey here comes a delicious peach, and it's not that.

Chip Ahoy said...

Dry. Maybe they're good with coffee. You don't get a pile of icing. Just a layer. Eating them, the sugar on the outside bugged me.

Recipe and more detailed description here.

And here.

People left nice comments.

Fr Martin Fox said...

Thank you, Chip!