Saturday, May 12, 2018

Green Brothers, food prepared in advance

The idea with them is keep the cost down. When these two are together a dynamic sets up. Josh fits in his family as ADD child, and that comes to the surface in the presence of his brother. I thoroughly enjoy watching him acting the nut. He cannot stand still when his brother is talking. He silently interrupts his brother continuously by drawing attention to himself with hand motions and exaggerated facial expressions. To me, he's hilarious. At one point the first brother asks, "is he humping me?" Sure enough Josh was behind him pretend humping him. He knows his goofy brother too well.

When he's by himself, Josh is an entirely different person, sensible and stable.



When my dad died my family assembled from across the country. My sibs were at a loss how to organize a reception. We relied on one of Dad's favorite places to knock back a few, the VFW where he was well known. 

I had executor responsibility from before his death, I paid all his bills, so I went around using his card for the things that we needed. I'm recalling this as I write, Sam's Club was the only place that gave me any trouble about that. I remember because my brother mentioned it at Sam's to make the guy feel bad. They're very careful and protective about stolen cards. 

Among other things, chief among them a dozen rotisserie chickens and the Sam's Club version are BIG, I bought jumbo shrimp for 150 people, thereabouts, and all that had to be peeled. My younger brother James stayed with me at my apartment and peeled shrimp long into the night, finally cooking it and chilling it for the next day. Exceedingly tedious work. And those hours we spent working together to see through this event foisted upon us is one of my fondest family memories of all time. Not just the best of that episode, but of all time. My brother is pure pleasure to work with no matter the sad and urgent and pressing circumstance. There is no one better for me. That is what this video reminds me of. Two brothers goofing around cooking, having a great deal of fun being silly, while still cooperating beautifully, and actually doing something productive and meaningful.

"It seems you've fallen behind. I'm peeling more shrimp than you are."

"I believe you're mistaken. Perhaps you became confused. I'm peeling more shrimp than you are."

"Oh, certainly, not that anyone's counting. By far, I am peeling the most shrimp."

"There's a good chance you're quite wrong. We see that you're tired. I've been ahead all along." 

Here is Josh by himself showing his viewers what can be done with food planning using the money that would be spent on a large daily coffee at a place like Starbucks. He could have used a pack of cigarettes a day for the same example. Without his brother he's a lot less goofy. 


3 comments:

ricpic said...

One of my favorite frugal Youtubers is a gal in California, sorry can't think of her name, anyway she says that far and away the biggest waste of food dollars isn't in what's bought or even how the food's prepared but is in the amount of food that goes bad in the fridge and has to be thrown away. So simply getting into the habit of checking EVERYTHING in there and using it before it goes bad or even when it's just turning, that's the single best way to cut your food bill.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

That you for sharing that shrimp sibling story. Superb!

MamaM said...

Mamajama! That's a new on one me--UDic offers a number of defs, with the one that goes beyond bad/good resonating with me! If I was in to changing my online name Ritmo style, that would be the next one!

I can't tell you which of the brothers I like better or enjoy more! They're both fun. And yes, I'm familiar with the dynamic. Some of my favorite time are when the sonsM are home together, telling individual stories (in which the other chimes in) or recounting a mutually experienced event with .