Friday, May 18, 2018

Comedy Tonight

I was working inside this morning and rather than listen to the radio I was watching An Evening at the Improv - a repackaged version of 30 year old standup comedy acts. I have seen several seasons and it's interesting to see who made it and who didn't. Some of the stand up comedians went on to have good careers, some of them still work, and some vaporized into the ether. It's amusing to me to see how much of those old routines worked their way into my daily vernacular - Tim Allen, for example - rr rr rr (chimp noises). My love of comedy permeates my very being. That's no laughing matter.

I like physical comedy and this bit, from a guy I had never heard of before, struck me as funny.



I did read the Wikipedia page on Budd Friedman, who started the Improv back in the early '60s. Turns out he was wounded on Pork Chop Hill - the things one learns along the way.

2 comments:

Trooper York said...

It is pretty funny how some of these guys just flame out and some of the worst stand ups have a yuge career.

Amy Shcumer is a perfect example of this.

Much funnier people like Patrice O'Neal couldn't get traction and she steals his jokes and becomes a multi-millionaire.

Trooper York said...

You need to check out some of the pod-casts where the younger comics can shine.

There are a couple of cool pod-casts networks such as Gas Digital, Compound Media and Riotcast.

There is also an app called "Laughable" which has pretty much every pod-cast on the Internet.