Saturday, March 17, 2018

banana oatmeal pancakes

Mute sound.



I bought dates and figs from the regular store online and they delivered a version that is chopped and nearly dehydrated like raisins. I don't even know what to do with the stupid things. They're not even good for snacks. They indistinguishable. It makes me want to go straight to Trader Joe's and get top versions of the real things. 

In high school I invented a late-night snack. One large pancake smeared with strawberry preserves and folded in half. Pretty good for a teenager. Well ahead of my peers. I made one night after night. I thought pancakes must come from a boxed mix, the product of top scientists and advanced production too far beyond the home cook. No box of pancake mix then no pancakes for me. And it didn't occur to me the strawberry preserves could be anything, peanut butter, chocolate, fruit, berries, honey, any kind of syrup, other flavors of preserves, anything sweet.  I didn't know I could make my own mix from flour or oats or cornmeal or beans processed in a coffee mill or any combination of those, with sugar and baking powder. I was raised to depend on processed food. 

But now I am free. I have slipped the surly bonds of those hoax pantry items.

Seven pancakes, really? I'd rather have two. With an egg and some bacon.

1 comment:

ricpic said...

Never thought I'd see "slipped the surly bonds" applied to pantry items. But there's a first for everything. I wonder if the present generation of astronauts is as literate as the astronaut who quoted "slipped the surly bonds of earth?" He was more literate than me because I can't even name the poet. Another early astronaut, was it Buzz Aldrin? upon first viewing the moon up close coined the phrase "magnificent desolation."

Hey, it's a free associating world out there, I'm just doing my part.