Friday, January 5, 2018

Aerogarden


Old style. The new ones are better.

It's nice having a little garden inside when the outside is subzero. I'm imagining. In Denver it's 45℉ this moment and the forecast is 13 degrees warmer by Tuesday. In Denver that's t-shirt weather. 

That reminds me. One day in Tokyo when I was nine my dad said, "Put your coat on we're going somewhere." So I did. I was also wearing short pants. Then my dad sneered derisively, "You look like an Eskimo in California who cannot make up his mind." His way of saying I look like a dope. And I did look like a dope. I can never forget his cutting remark. So casual, but it sliced like a knife. I shrank, like a cartoon, to stand inside one of my shoes. And changed my pants to weather-appropriate long pants that comport with the jacket. 

And now decades later I think that same thing whenever I see men in Denver wearing short pants with a coat or a jacket. And they do that a lot. They really do look ridiculous. Like Eskimos in California who cannot make up their minds. Or plain idiots who do not know how to dress themselves. Dad, you have these guys nailed. Thank you for not letting me be one of them.

5 comments:

edutcher said...

They do look cool and veggies or herbs in the winter would be handy.

ricpic said...

"...short pants with a coat or a jacket....they really do look ridiculous."

You're edging dangerously close to TOP territory.

deborah said...

Depends, Chip. Are they in sandals?

MamaM said...

Do they look anymore ridiculous than men in tiny, too tight suits with long pants that aren't long enough to reach the tops of their shoes?

MamaM said...

What to I see? A smaller scale version of the green life that spilled over the balcony in warmer days, unique, tended, encouraged, and appreciated. Evidence of vitality in plant and care-taker.