Monday, January 8, 2018

A Hero falls.....



I have been out of touch the past few months. Especially the past three weeks.

Lisa's Dad has been very ill. He was in hospice at home suffering from the accumulated disabilities he incurred from being a NYFD fireman through the sixties and seventies. Those were the guys who went into fires to save people without any gear. No fancy tanks. Nothing but a hose, an ax and a glass screen in the front of their helmet.




They worked the bowels of Brooklyn in Brownsville, East New York. He told me many stories that I want to share with you in a series of posts over the next few days. I beg your indulgence but I would like to share some stories of his life because he was a hero to me.

I have some blurry pictures to share. Here you see the guys looking like the original cast of "Emergency." Those seventies haircuts are hilarious.

Dad managed to hang on until his eightieth birthday on December 22. We invited a bunch of his fireman friends. Some of whom are in this photo of the bullpen at 283. They came to tell stories. I cooked up a bunch of pasta and they were able to help him celebrate. He rallied and even was able to talk a little with the guys and their wives. They all piled into his room to have cake and sing Happy Birthday. It was a good day.

We saw a movie last night called "Deep Water Horizon" which was about the oil rig fire in Louisiana. We marveled at the fire and the heroism of the guys fighting that fire in order to survive. Dad was involved in a very similar situation at the very beginning of his career. He was a probie on the job for a month. He was the first fireman on the scene when the aircraft carrier USS Constellation burned at the Navy yard. The stories he told were heartbreaking. To him it was just part of the job.

Heres to you James Joseph Kelly. I love you and I will always keep you in my heart.

19 comments:

The Dude said...

Good post, Troops. Hang in there and I look forward to hearing his stories.

bagoh20 said...

I'd love to read about him, and I know you will do him justice.

ndspinelli said...

Please convey my sympathies to Lisa. Look forward to getting to know her dad.

edutcher said...

Firemen have a higher death rate than cops.

You can shoot a crook, but you can't shoot fire.

Truly, one of New York's finest.

Dad Bones said...

From big city firemen to small town volunteer firemen I admire them all. I'll be reading.

Amartel said...

Looking forward to the stories. Thanks in advance for sharing. I don't like to think in terms of "generations" because it's too limiting (and also BS) but these elders really had a different mindset that's quickly going extinct. It's unfortunate.

deborah said...

Sorry to hear, Trooper. He sounds like a great guy and a real hero.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Sorry for your loss, Troop. Condolences to your entire family.

chickelit said...

Condolences, Troop. Please do write the stories.

Chip Ahoy said...

Condolences. Looking forward to your stories.

MamaM said...

He told me many stories that I want to share with you in a series of posts over the next few days. I beg your indulgence but I would like to share some stories of his life

My heart goes out to you and Lisa as you grieve this loss and begin to gather, hold, sort through and share all that he was and all that his life meant to each of you and others.

virgil xenophon said...

Sad to hear. Yes please regale us with a few stories from a time gone by...I've a friend in the NOFD (whose wife is a lawyer-they met in law school but he dropped out to become a firefighter--quite a pair) that I shoot pool with on Sundays just to get an ear-full of New Orleans politics if nothing else (firefighters are notorious for being heavily engaged in city politics)

AllenS said...

My condolences. It takes a good man to race into a burning building.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I am sorry about your father in law.

ricpic said...

Very moving, Troop.

And from his photograph he was a genuine tough guy.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Condolences to you and Lisa. It is sad to lose a parent. It sounds like he had a life to be very proud of and was a shining example to others.

Trooper York said...

Lisa wanted me to thank all of you for your kind words and thoughts and prayers.

It has been very hard but we are doing the best we can.

Talking about him and celebrating his life has been the best thing we can do.

windbag said...

I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a great guy, and I'm looking forward to hearing the stories. You're right, remembering the good times is the best thing to do.

Methadras said...

My deepest sympathies to you and Lisa. Though we've never met, I believe there is a kinship because of the way we talk to each other.