Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Man crushed to death after trying to take selfie with elephant

Via Drudge:  The man, identified as 54-year-old Ashok Bharti, had been trying to take a photograph with the elephant when it “turned on him”.
Mr Bharti a resident of the city of Cuttack, in the eastern state of Odisha, was working with a private company in the Sundargarh district when he was killed.

A forest official said the elephant was already agitated before the incident.

"We were trying to drive away the tusker [elephant] with the help of local people. But suddenly a person present there among locals, went nearer to the tusker and tried to take a photograph of the elephant on his mobile phone.

“He was also trying to take a selfie with the elephant when it turned on him," the official told the India Times.  (Link to more)

Meanwhile, closer to home... "Husband thinks he killed wife in his sleep"
A North Carolina man is using the bad dream defense — telling a 911 operator he awoke from slumber to find his wife stabbed to death and drenched in blood, reports said.

Matthew Phelps, 28, told the operator in Raleigh early Friday that he fell asleep after taking too much cold medicine and may have accidentally killed his wife in his sleep, ABC 13 reported.

“I think I killed my…,” Phelps said to the operator, according to the outlet.

“What do you mean by that? What happened?” the dispatcher asked.

“I had a dream and then I turned on the lights and she’s dead on the floor … I have blood all over me and there’s a bloody knife on the bed. I think I did it. I can’t believe this,” Phelps told the dispatcher.

11 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Elephants hate selfies (they are self conscious about their weight).

Rabel said...

I have a relative in Miami. She's in an apartment in Doral which is on the west side of the city. The city's evacuation zones are classed A thru E and she is on the second floor of a fairly new apartment complex about a half mile west of the "E" or least dangerous zone and 10 miles from the coast.

I told her to stay put. Opinions?

edutcher said...

I'd say run like a thief, but, if she's staying, find high ground. Like Grossinger's.

On the dead wife, this sounds like an early Hitchcock plot.

Amartel said...

Clearly highland coos don't mind a selfie!
I have a cousin in the Orlando area. He's prepping for a long haul w/o electricity but staying put of course. Been through this drill before.

Amartel said...

Yeah, the guy with the dead wife - that could be a clever RUSE. Check with family for suspicious signs, the taking out of life insurance policies, etc.

Leland said...

Rabel; I'd offer her a place to stay, and tell her to get on a plane and come visit. Surviving the storm is just part of it. Whatever part of Florida this storm hits will be a trainwreck for 72 hours, and just plain a disaster for several weeks after. Just avoiding the trainwreck will be a plus. If she agrees, recommend she park on at least the second floor of a parking garage. Maybe not the top of the garage, but as high up as possible.

Rabel said...

I haven't checked but I'd be amazed if you could get a flight out of South Florida after today. As for driving out, the uncertainty of exactly where the worst of the storm will hit means that you'd have to leave Florida entirely. We have a house in Daytona which is where she would probably go and it could end up hit worse than Miami. The roads will be packed starting tonight and tomorrow, I expect.

I'm thinking that a safe spot near Miami is better than an uncertain road trip. I'll reevaluate that based on tomorrows forecast. There's still a chance the thing will turn North before it gets to Florida.


Good advice on the car, but fuck it. That's what insurance is for.

Rabel said...

A tornado, of course, wouldn't care about evacuation zones.

Rabel said...

Also, if the apartment complex says to leave she'll just have to get on the road.

Leland said...

I said plane, because yeah, evacuating by car would be both difficult, and yeah "where would you go" other than out of Florida. I also agree that between Daytona and Miami; I'd take my chances in Miami.

Somewhat related; Carnival contacted me last Thursday. Because of the hurricane, many people cancelled their cruise. So they were offering really cheap rates to fill up the boat. If she makes it through and wants to get away...

deborah said...

"Yeah, the guy with the dead wife - that could be a clever RUSE."

LOL thanks Dick Tracy.