Tuesday, August 22, 2017

It's a total eclipse of ....err...well it is a 70% eclipse....err...it's a day off.

So yesterday we took the day off to see the eclipse. We had the glasses that I talked about and we went with a few friends to Valentino Pier in Red Hook.
This is the pier in Red Hook named after Louie Valentino who was I guy I went to school with all through grammar school and High School. His dad was a big deal in the ILA which was the longshoreman's union. One of my greatest regrets is that I didn't go in the union like he asked. I could have gotten involved in the union and stolen a huge pile of money.

There were a huge amount of people. Well a couple of hundred anyway. Kids. Dogs. Lawn Chairs. It was a party. Everyone looked up at the eclipse. Total strangers fell into conversation. While their dogs pissed on kids. Or their kids pissed on dogs. You see parents don't pay any attention to their freaking kids. The pet owners pay way more attention. They just don't care where their dogs shit or piss. New York. I gotta get out of here.

After 4 o'clock pretty much everyone left and we sat down and had lunch. It is beautiful there. The sea air was beautiful. It was war. I was looking out at the water. I turned to my wife and said "Why aren't we doing this every day instead of only where there is a freakin' eclipse of the sun."

8 comments:

ricpic said...

Where I was the sky didn't even get noticeably darker. I had to practically talk myself into, "It's 2:30 and it feels like 5:30." And even that was inflation. Oh well, there's another one coming up in 2024......in Texas!

Trooper York said...

I want to live in the sun everyday.

Not once in a blue moon. Or an eclipse.

edutcher said...

If you looked at the expected track, you knew the Northeast wouldn't see anything.

Likewise, the lower Midwest. Like you, all there was to see was a little less light in OH.

The South, the midsection of the country, and the Pacific Northwest were the ones who got the show.

Next time, It's supposed to be different.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

We had 97%. Good enough. But not good enough according to the stuck up 100%ers. yeah yeah yeah. 100%. 2 minutes of darkness. Totally worth the normally 3 hour drive that took 12. Whatever.

Chip Ahoy said...

You and your wife look fantastic.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

OK - I keep running into people who made the horrendous drive into Wyoming. They all say it was worth it.

Here's a fantastic video of the eclipse - 100%.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

not 97%.... 93% and it was nothing like the 100%.

windbag said...

100%. Man, it was cool.