Tuesday, April 4, 2017

What behaviors instantly kill a conversation?

Reddit top voted comments...

When I laughed during a conversation and he told me I laughed like a pussy.

Name dropping and constantly talking about themselves

Standing too close or too far away

I have a friend who just can't be wrong. Once he says something he commits 100% to it and will never admit he is wrong even when presented with evidence otherwise and it's infuriating.

Not getting to the point.

Complaining about moments of silence.

My mom will literally change the subject of conversation in the middle of a sentence if she doesn't want to talk about it anymore. It could be about something important or trivial and happens all the time. It's so frustrating and usually just ends up with me getting up and walking away.

13 comments:

AllenS said...

Passing gas.

ndspinelli said...

Constant interrupting. When someone engages in that rude behavior I simply walk away.

edutcher said...

Being honest?

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

A blank stare of incomprehension and indifference.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Teenagers

Leland said...

A barking dog

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

I have to pee.

Methadras said...

Picking your nose while talking to someone.

ricpic said...

Usually around a dinner table there are one or two first rate minds and at least twice the number of third rate minds and just as one of the firstraters is fleshing out a thought or insight a third rater interjects some asininity that immediately kills the conversation.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Roger Ailes - pants down.

bagoh20 said...

I don't know, but I wish I had a well practiced arsenal of them.

Methadras said...

Adjusting your junk in your pants because it's pinching you while you are having a deep, meaningful discussion about Jesus. Yeah, it happened.

The Dude said...

So, you think of Jesus and grow tumescent? I really don't want to know.

For me it is people who mumble. Well, since I am deaf, that's everyone, but when I say "I can't hear you" or "Speak up" or "What?" or "WHAT!?!?!" and the people continue to mutter, I cease attempting to interact with them.

But there is one worse behavior - after I tell someone I can't hear them, to look at me so I can read their lips, and they not only continue to mumble but turn away from me - well - bad word! You really don't want me to continue this discussion, now do you?'

That last one happened at a Christmas party. Parties are terrible - background noise, and so on. They need to provide subtitles.