Tuesday, March 28, 2017

KLEM FM


Jagger was the principle lyricist, so it's plausible that the song was -- at least in part -- about Marianne Faithfull. Other inspiration(s) remain murky. I've never read a Jagger autobiography (is there one?), so who knows. The song's meaning is universal.

I never realized that Keith Richard was a "down-pointer."  I refer to where he points the neck of his guitar. Bill Wyman was a notorious guitar neck-hugger -- to the point of nearly looking like he was playing an upright bass -- but not in this video.

There is another very famous guitar neck down-pointer. Can you guess to whom I'm referring?

Full lyrics after the jump



I saw her today at the reception
A glass of wine in her hand
I knew she was gonna meet her connection
At her feet was footloose man

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you might find
You get what you need

I went down to the demonstration
To get my fair share of abuse
Singing, "We're gonna vent our frustration
If we don't we're gonna blow a 50-amp fuse"

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need

I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
To get your prescription filled
I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
And man, did he look pretty ill
We decided that we would have a soda
My favorite flavor, cherry red
I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
Yeah, and he said one word to me, and that was "dead"
I said to him

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need

You get what you need, yeah, oh baby

I saw her today at the reception
In her glass was a bleeding man
She was practiced at the art of deception
Well I could tell by her blood-stained hands

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You just might find
You get what you need

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You just might find
You get what you need

7 comments:

chickelit said...

Brian Jones was supposed to play the french horn in the beginning but he was long dead at the bottom of the Winnie the Pool.

edutcher said...

"You can't always get what you want"

Did I, or did I not, say this?

bagoh20 said...

When you see the guitar as an extension of the player's sexuality, it all makes sense. I always play alone.

chickelit said...

@bagoh20: Check out Bill Wyman's upright erect instrument in this video.

AllenS said...

Marianne Faithful, oh baby.

AllenS said...

chick, there are no strings on the guitars in that video. Fake music from the Stones.

chickelit said...

Jagger is not lip-synching, as the vocal parts are noticeably different than the recorded version. I do see string on all the guitars, but I'll bet they aren't mic' d or amped. Also missing are a couple of guitar tracks, the French horn and the London Bach Choir.

Trivia: Charlie Watts did not play drums on the Let It Bleed version, so he is aping someone else.